Lighting question

So I buy what I can from the co-op and really appreciate what I've learned from their videos, but I just can't put Fluval 3.0's in my cart.  They may be amazing lights, but that's more money than I am willing (or can afford) to spend.

I am online looking at BeamsWork.  I already have one on my 55 gallon and I'm just starting to plant it up.  I can't make heads or tails of PAR data (I feel stupid for that).  I see there are a couple of configurations for it (FSPEC, EA, DA, etc).

If anyone has information to share about that light, or an alternative or pointers would, that'd be great.

Final question: Are there any plants that I can carpet without root tabs or treated substrate?

(other info if you're so inclined)

I really like planted tanks but have failed in the past.  In the past month or so I've been adsorbing a lot of info from Cory, and hoping to correct my mistakes.  My plan is to introduce a few plants at a time so I don't crash the system.  I think it'll be easier to go with water column feeders.

Thanks again for all the help I'm getting here,

Hi! Not too worry, that beam works light will grow most aquarium plants as your probably seeing in that 55g. I know they can grow some corals (and algae) so plants shouldn’t be a problem. There’s also an option by finnex (the stingray) that I use across a rack of 10g. Seems like that would work for most things too.

I heard Cory mention Crypts as good “carpeting” plants, using liquid fertilizer and low lights. No specials soils or root tabs needed. Also Java fern and Anubias are good low light plants that grow via rhizomes so they would rather not be buried in soil at all (not much in the way of carpets but just another idea). Valisinsria might be another option for a taller background plant.

Planted tanks can take some time and consistency to find that balance. You may just have to try a few different plants and see what takes best to your conditions. 
best of luck!