Trapped water and air in decoration

BF McUmber

I have a castle in my fish tank that is hollow.  The castle has hollow spires that go up and are closed at the top. There are two holes in the shell that have access to the aquarium. The two holes make a pass through from the front to the back of the center section. 

I assume these spires are both filled with some air and water from when it was placed.  Especially in the side spires this air and water will effectively never move. It's that anything to worry about? 

I had a nerite go into the center of the castle two days ago.  When he comes back out I was thinking of filling the center section some so that if he goes in again he can't get to the side spires and be trapped.   

16189419770565391757991504373785.jpg

2 ways to get rid of the trapped air. while still in the tank, turn the castle upside down to let out trapped air, then turn it back over. permanent solution would be to pull it out, and drill some tiny holes in the tops of the spires, etc. even a pretty tiny little pin hole will allow air to get out.

I had a fake tree root that was filled with water. I took it out to scrub some algae and it dumped its contents. A mass of foul smelling white slime. It flooded the tank. I sucked a lot of it out and did a large water change. And did another the day after. and again after that. If your decoration can't breathe (vent and circulate) that's what can happen. It's no different than having H2S gas bubbles build in your substrate. I would ditch it, or fill it with epoxy. YMMV.

No, I switched to natural driftwood. We use an epoxy called DP100 and DP270  by 3M at work that I suspect would be safe. I would use the DP270 as it set slower and generates less heat. DP100 cures quickly and might melt your decoration. When either hardens it's a glass/acrylic like texture which I think would be aquarium safe.