Weird unknown snail?

Just a Pygmy Corydora

Safe in what respect? It is safe and helpful for your aquarium ecosystem, it is unsafe for fish eggs which it may or may not eat. It is probably capable of reproducing rapidly if it has access to lots of leftover fish food or algae, but won't if it doesn't.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
  • Like 1

There are many many different kinds of snails out there. The big three that manage to sneak into aquariums are pond/bladder snails, ramshorn snails, and MTS snails. And within those three groups they come in different color morphs.

A more clear/closer photo may help identify it, but the shape from the photo above makes me think pond/bladder snail with maybe some eroded shell which turns white.

It looks like a bladder snail to me. Our OG bladder snail came in with a co-op plant. It has a very coppery shell. Offspring have a paler/more beige and spotted shell than the original.

Yes, they do reproduce, and I found two clutches of bladder snail eggs on my water sprite today. No, they're not harmful at all, and I find them really fun to watch because they can move incredibly fast for tiny little snails. I choose to let them live their best snail lives in my tank, and figure when I get the algae completely under control, their numbers will adjust with it. 

3 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Then I think its a bladder snail. I don't know where it is. Does it bury under the gravel?

Bladders snails don't, but they are very sneaky and can be hard to spot sometimes, and if there is a path into your filter they will head into it.

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
  • Like 1

Looking at your picture it could also be a ramshorn snail, as it looks more like the "traditional" snail shape to me--bladder and pond snails sort of have the swirl on the back end, which is pointy.  Ramshorns look just like a ram's horn--like a round spiral.  I have some that are that color--I think they're called leopards.  Either way, the same info applies that was shared before.  Yes, they reproduce.  Yes, overall they're pretty good for your tank unless the look of them drives you nuts.  I personally think ramshorns are kind of pretty.  Bladder/pond snails and ramshorns are both known for hitchhiking on plants.

image.png.080658508808f2f7260b0d10a353d739.png

• Like 1