DIY canister filter

JohnT

1 hour ago, JohnT said:

DIY canister filter. Looks simple, cheap and effective. Thoughts? What are the down sides?

It can be all of those or none of those depending on design and execution.  Down side is when you curse the guy who made it you're cursing yourself.

Why DIY canister filter???  Just for the heck of it...

Quite some time ago I felt that I needed more mechanical filtration in my 110g stock tank. So I went a looking for an inexpensive canister filter. I came across a Polar Aurora HW 304B (which it turns out is an unbranded Sunsun). It was $75 on Amazon. Filled with sponge material it's been chugging along for over a year and I'm very happy with it.

20200214_095833.jpg

I'm building an aquascape and I want to go with a canister filter because of the aesthetics effect and the efficiency. Moreover, because I like to build stuff and want to try it 🙂

I'm just a bit concerned because so far I'm only seeing positive comments about this and perhaps I can just invest some more money and get a branded filter.

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I'm building an aquascape and I want to go with a canister filter because of the aesthetics effect and the efficiency. Moreover, because I like to build stuff and want to try it 🙂

I'm just a bit concerned because so far I'm only seeing positive comments about this and perhaps I can just invest some more money and get a branded filter.

I'd judge any filter bought or made on a few things weighted by personal preference.

1) aesthetics (and noise)  does it look and sound okay for my goals.

2) filtration.  does it move enough water through enough surface area?  (and you can break that down into bio/mech/chem filtration if you want)

3) robustness.  Will it pump all the water out of your tank onto your floor killing all your fish.

how you get there is up to you.  quality, effort, cost, are the general tradeoffs.

• Like 1