New to the hobby with New 20 gallon tank

alcidmr

I'm still cycling my 20G H aquarium since 3 week ago. I'm in my 4th week. I used fritz zyme 7 beneficial bacteria, and put fish flake to help start the cycle  and I haven't gotten no reading of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. so what am I doing wrong? the tank is starting to get cover of white sluff I don't know what that is. should I do a partial or what to do about no readings. any suggestions.      

Welcome to the hobby! Getting your first tank cycled is always a bit of a hassle. If your water is looking cloudy right now, it might be a slight bio-bloom. What sort of filtration are you using? What kind of substrate?

Here is how we cycle our tanks fast:

1) Use a biologically activated substrate like Eco Complete — or, transfer substrate from a cycled tank.

(2) Use Wood or Hardscape from inside a cycled tank. We buy wet wood from our LFS.

(3) Use a primed sponge filter already full of bio.

(4) Use tank water from a cycled tank.

(5) Buy tons of live plants. They bring in bio.

(6) Dump in Dr. Tim’s bio starter fluid.

Then wait a day. Test water. Wait until Nitrates are increasing. Add fish. 

I have no one that is a fish keeper that I know so I'm on my own lol. So no way to get a cycled full of bio of nothing unfortunately lol. I'm scare of real plants because then I have to keep plants and fish alive lol not sure if I'm ready for that since I'm new to this.but will consider it thank you.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alcidmr said:

I have no one that is a fish keeper that I know so I'm on my own lol. So no way to get a cycled full of bio of nothing unfortunately lol. I'm scare of real plants because then I have to keep plants and fish alive lol not sure if I'm ready for that since I'm new to this.but will consider it thank you.

Live plants are not a big problem to care for. Just select easy ones. Java Fern is a good one. Just don't bury the root-stalk. IT's a rhizome plant, and the rhizome should not be buried. Wisteria is easy to grow, and very bright green. It is often grown emmersed (out of water) so when you transition it to immersed (under water) the leaves melt away and transition. Anacharis is pretty easy too. We also like Ludwigia Repens. For lighting, we use a cheap undercabinet LED made by Hyper-Tough brand from WalMart (ca. $10) that throws out 5,000 Kelvin. You'll want an aquarium timer to regulate the photo period. 

• Like 1

Hi Alcidmr,  Add Hornwort to your possible plant list.  Hornwort and the Anacharis @Fish Folk mentioned are two of the easiest and fastest growers.  Water changes at this point will slow the cycling process down.  At this point I would risk buying 2 or 3 inexpensive fish.  

Just now, alcidmr said:

Oh ok thanks @Tanked but do I have to change my substrate because I have gravel or like pebbles so not sure if I need different kind of substrate. 

No.  I use nothing but gravel, both official aquarium gravel and Pea gravel from the big box store.  Gravel provides more surface area for the beneficial bacteria.  "imaginary natural something" should be fine🤣 A pair of fish will help the cycle by adding ammonia to your tank.  

Keeping an aquarium is a voyage, not a destination.

• Like 1