What water pump does Dean use?

MT Aquatics

I would like to build the same fry grow out system that Dean uses, but I can not figure out what pump he uses for the drip system with killing the pump. I have found a fountain pump that is 50 gal per hour. Not sure if this is to much also. 

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Edited by MT Aquatics

5 hours ago, MT Aquatics said:

I would like to build the same fry grow out system that Dean uses, but I can not figure out what pump he uses for the drip system with killing the pump. I have found a fountain pump that is 50 gal per hour. Not sure if this is to much also. 

Any help or suggestions would be helpful.

Not sure if this is exactly what Dean uses, but @MickS77 has done some good work adapting Dean’s fry system. Here’s a thread he posted a while back...

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

Not sure if this is exactly what Dean uses, but @MickS77 has done some good work adapting Dean’s fry system. Here’s a thread he posted a while back...

I use the Cobalt MJ1200, seems like they may be discontinued now. I think Marineland sells the same pump under a different name.

• Like 3

he did an online presentation for I believe Chicago Cichlid Association, on his fry tank and how he built it, and if I remember right he said he uses a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead with a pre filter sponge. As @MickS77said, he may be discontinued now, but anything similar should work, the thing would be connecting a hose to your water manifold above the tank. 

• Like 1

When I built a similar design I used an ecoplus 290. I made the manifold from 3/4 pvc. Since I didn't want to massively restrict the pump I made it return back to the tank at the end of run. I drilled a 5/16 hole in the center of a pvc cap that sat below the water line. I had a big jehmco prefilter on the pump intake. It would turn the main tank/reservoir over several times per hour and kept the bottom clean while still letting me trickle water into the trays.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s1_ said:

I made the manifold from 3/4 pvc. Since I didn't want to massively restrict the pump I made it return back to the tank at the end of run.

With a manifold like this and bypassing the extra flow back into the tank, just about any sized pump can be used. This is exactly the same kind of design we used in the lab with our chillers. You can regulate flow out of the manifold where needed and prevent back pressure on the pump.