Ammonia in my water and I can't get rid of it!

Elice B

I have a puzzle.  I get 0.25 ppm ammonia readings in my tanks, tap water, and a local natural pond when I use the API test kit. I treat my tanks with Fritz complete during water changes and the ammonia reading persists.  Anyone have an idea of what it might be?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Elice B said:

I have a puzzle.  I get 0.25 ppm ammonia readings in my tanks, tap water, and a local natural pond when I use the API test kit. I treat my tanks with Fritz complete during water changes and the ammonia reading persists.  Anyone have an idea of what it might be?

Ammonia can often be in your tap. Fritz Complete probably converts the Ammonia to Ammonium, which will still register on your tests as ammonia. 

• Like 1

I have also discovered that phenomena.  My tap water tests clear of ammonia.  But, after dechlorination, I get a reading of .25 ppm ammonia.  If you are getting your tap water from a local municipality, it is likely being disinfected using chloramine, which basically is a relatively unstable compound of chlorine and ammonia. By law, they are permitted to emit up to 4 ppm chloramine.  When we add dechlorinator, the chlorine is bound rendering it harmless, but the ammonia is released.

• Like 1