Did I give my Mom good advice?

Cyndi

Hi All! My Mom finally got back into aquariums again after years of going without. As kids, we always had what I thought was a giant aquarium - 30 whole gallons with an UG filter and fancy goldfish, and It's her influence that got both my sister and I big into the hobby as adults - but I think we've intimidated her with our enthusiasm. One day out of the blue, she said "Hey lets go look at fish tanks." I was so excited!

We settled on this 5 gallon Top Fin "Engage" aquarium. it has a really big compartment in the back that we stuffed with sponges and used Seachem  Bio-Media. It even has an easy way to change water. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this tank, what do they like about it, does the pump last, etc.. Some reviewers put an air stone in the compartment and I'm wondering if I should advise her to do the same. She has agreed to only keep a betta in there so I am especially happy about that - I want her to feel successful, and it's a big responsibility to teach someone from scratch about this hobby - there are so many variables! 

Thanks so much! EDIT: It's the Engage aquarium not Imagine image.png.f068827c9535bcab49ac0aaa490d265e.png

Edited by Cyndi
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Cyndi said:

Hi All! My Mom finally got back into aquariums again after years of going without. As kids, we always had what I thought was a giant aquarium - 30 whole gallons with an UG filter and fancy goldfish, and It's her influence that got both my sister and I big into the hobby as adults - but I think we've intimidated her with our enthusiasm. One day out of the blue, she said "Hey lets go look at fish tanks." I was so excited!

We settled on this 5 gallon Top Fin "Imagine" aquarium. it has a really big compartment in the back that we stuffed with sponges and used Seachem  Bio-Media. It even has an easy way to change water. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this tank, what do they like about it, does the pump last, etc.. Some reviewers put an air stone in the compartment and I'm wondering if I should advise her to do the same. She has agreed to only keep a betta in there so I am especially happy about that - I want her to feel successful, and it's a big responsibility to teach someone from scratch about this hobby - there are so many variables! 

Thanks so much!image.png.f068827c9535bcab49ac0aaa490d265e.png

I think you’re on the right track! These tanks are nice. Add live plants

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

I think you’re on the right track! These tanks are nice. Add live plants! 

Yeah, I've seen others say they have good success with plants with this tank. I'm glad to hear you think they're nice tanks - this gives me confidence! Next time I visit, I may just casually bring up some cuttings and root tabs. Once she sees how pretty live plants are, I think she'll never go back. 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyndi said:

Yeah, I've seen others say they have good success with plants with this tank. I'm glad to hear you think they're nice tanks - this gives me confidence! Next time I visit, I may just casually bring up some cuttings and root tabs. Once she sees how pretty live plants are, I think she'll never go back. 🙂

^ ^ ^ T R U T H ^ ^ ^

• Like 1