Threadfin Rainbow Fin Nipping?

Cyndi

Hi All,

I have 7 threadfin rainbows - had them about a month and a half. When purchased from Aqua Huna they were so tiny I put them in a grow out tank. Had no problems there. I've since moved them to my 72 G tank and i've noticed several males with bitten off tail fins. Not ragged - the tips are bitten clean off. Did the dominant male do this or maybe it was another fish. Other culprits could be female betta who appears to ignore them or some active Cochu tetra which also appear to ignore them, although they do school together sometimes. 

I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior for threadfin rainbow fish. 

Thanks so much!

8 hours ago, Cyndi said:

Hi All,

I have 7 threadfin rainbows - had them about a month and a half. When purchased from Aqua Huna they were so tiny I put them in a grow out tank. Had no problems there. I've since moved them to my 72 G tank and i've noticed several males with bitten off tail fins. Not ragged - the tips are bitten clean off. Did the dominant male do this or maybe it was another fish. Other culprits could be female betta who appears to ignore them or some active Cochu tetra which also appear to ignore them, although they do school together sometimes. 

I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior for threadfin rainbow fish. 

Thanks so much!

I’d blame the tetras before anyone else. Brief write up on theme here cites fin nipping...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

I’d blame the tetras before anyone else. Brief write up on theme here cites fin nipping...

Ahh- thanks — it says they need to be kept in schools - which I had, but all died but 2. Might explain why they’ve become nippy. I was watching them carefully this morning and thought I caught them in the act. Pretty fish, but  theyll have to go in the big boy tank while i try to beef up their school😊