To heat or not to heat

Gideyon

I came across this video from Cory 

It got me wondering... 

I have a betta.   I've always heard that warmer temperatures help their healing and overall health. 

But has anyone tried room temp for their own fish, even if not a betta? 

I know I can look up weather conditions from their native place, but I wonder with fish bred out of the wild that their natural habitat isn't natural to them.  

Just now, Gideyon said:

Do y'all have a betta in one of those? 

I keep my tank in the basement where in the winter it's in the 60s. I probably won't try to go heater less until spring kicks in.  But I want to be sure it's okay for him. 

I have kept bettas this way before but I doubt the water temp got into the mid to low 60s.

• Like 1

I do think bettas really benefit from a heater. I wonder if those super long fins make them lose body heat more quickly than other fish. The betta I most recently had ended up dying when I forgot to plug in his heater. The temp dropped from 80 to 71 overnight. In the morning he was gone. 😞

I also observed a coworker’s betta when some friends were fish-sitting for her. It had an unheated (really small) tank and it spent all its time inside a pvc cave, occasionally darting to the top for air. I managed to find a nice way to give her a marimo moss ball, and she said the fish loved it and spent all its time sitting on top of it. I assume it was doing that for the tiny bit of heat coming from the moss. 

I’m sure a lot of other fish can do without a heater, but I think bettas really benefit from them, if your house is lower than 75 degrees or so.

• Like 2

• Administrators

The key here is what ambient temp your rooms runs and which fish you decide to keep. It used to be guppies never needed a heater. When most of them were bred by hobbyists in the USA. Coming from overseas where the temp is always hotter naturally, they struggle in unheated tanks without generations of work.

I do unheated, but it was something I specifically planned for with my stocking choices.  And it's one of the reasons I don't have a betta.

I have white cloud mountain minnows, hillstream loaches, and red cherry shrimp.  All of these are species that are well known for doing great in cooler water.  I'm glad I did, because I was able to get through sub zero temps outdoor temps, and no electricity for over 2 days, with no casualties in my tank (I think my tanks bottomed out around ~50F, with my apartments air temp bottoming out around 40F).  I've heard enough about bettas and lower temps that I'd rather not risk it myself without some form of heating.

• Like 1

@Hobbit though my betta seemed good the vast majority of his life (no hiding, active, ate, followed me) -- I won't keep another one just in case it was the cooler temp (78 isn't to me, but hey I'm not a fish) that caused what I think is an earlier death than desired. When I started my other tanks I made sure the species I picked were fine in the unheated tank. I really like not having to worry about a heater breaking/mafunctioning. I'm the type of person that would run 2 just in case the other failed (and that's ugly to me but gotta do whatcha gotta do). I was also concerned about what would happen if it DID fail, or the power went out for 2 days (like @RockMongler) and they were SO used to *insert temp here* that they were unable to adapt? Personally I think it's natural to expect a "high temp" and a "low temp" during the course of a day. My tanks never get below 71 and that's rare. I live alone so I can set my temps wherever I dang well please and that's typically on the warmer end of the spectrum. (75 in summer, at least 74 in winter). Everybody I've picked is good with it- even when the guy at the LFS tried to convince me I needed to run a heater....

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

@xXInkedPhoenixX I think 78 is great for a betta, but like you said it’s nerve wracking to have to worry about the power going out and the fish not being able to adapt. I don’t think it was the cooler temp that got to your betta. I’ve heard of bettas living really long lives in temps lower than yours. If your betta was active, I think that means it was comfortable at the temp you had it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cory said:

It used to be guppies never needed a heater. When most of them were bred by hobbyists in the USA.

This is what I was wondering about.  It's hard to gauge a fish's preferred temperature if they've been bred from generations of domestically bred fish. 

I guess it's trial and error. 

For example, my betta is great in 75 degrees. Even though I try to raise the temp, for whatever reason, my thermometer reads 75.   I've read people keeping bettas in unheated water for years. That's  blasphemous in betta fish keeper communities.