What irks you the most?

CorydorasEthan

Prime Time Aquatics posted this video today on misleading aquarium products.

Does it not make your blood boil? While here is your chance to talk about it!

What's the most aggravating thing in the fishkeeping hobby to you? Is it misleading picture on tank boxes like in the above video? Is it misinformed pet store employees? Or maybe the negligence that the fishkeepers themselves have towards their pets? Comment down below on your greatest annoyance in the hobby and a story of your worst experience if you have one.

• Like 1

ive broken 50yrs of age, so im an old curmudgeon and everything irks me!! LOL  things that irk me, products that dont work as claimed, or have poor durability. of course to counter that ( this applies to most any hobby etc), i buy as high of quality products as i can justify. buy cheap, and buy it twice. buy right, and buy it once. 

• Like 1

I'm irked when companies can't work through supply chain challenges (I'm a supply chain guy. I understand the struggle) #fluvaltrippin, or when there's major price disparity between online and in-store retail sales because they sell through Amazon direct at a price lower than what the local shop can buy for. I also am not a fan of the idea that filters need disposable inserts. I'm sure it makes money but I'd rather see companies focus on sustainable products. 

Edited by Pete
  • Like 2

I completely understand the concern expressed by @Cory, so I'll keep this brief.  I didn't watch the video, so I don't know if they mentioned this or not, but the one that gets me is the filter companies recommending replacing filter media and/or cartridges often instead of just rinsing them.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't watch the video either, but since lfs have basically disappeared, we don't have the same resources. (This forum is finally a step in the right direction...however it comes with its own significant flaws) Sure, we get the internet, but that doesn't always help for specific questions. Forums tend to assume you are ignorant or become the "insert here" police instead of helping. I've seen people ask about a sick Betta living in a 3g attacked with comments about needing a 10g. Not one comment mentioning the sickness. He had a healthy cycle...low nitrates...so the illness needed to be addressed first. Experience is the only way to learn without other resources, and this hobby is too expensive for mistakes. 

• Like 2