Brine Shrimp eggs

ispud

I use your hatchery zeiss I think is name.  This is my third can and it has been a struggle.  Temp at night is 75.  I am using Morton's canning salt....this is my second large box...has not been a problem until recently.  Hatches are dirty.  Lots of dark matter sticking to sides.  Lots of dark matter coming out with shrimp.  Not sure if dark matter is shells or unhatched eggs.

• Administrators

To diagnose what's going on, we'll need information. What are your water parameters? Water out of the tap changes with seasons as an example. I use marine salt, to prevent any improper parameters with the hatch water myself.

Do you have a picture of what you're seeing with your hatches?

Are you cleaning the hatcher well enough? After continued use, a hater can develop a slime coating. A simple rinse doesn't get rid of this unfortunately.

How long are you hatching the eggs? What method is used to test water temp at say 3-4am in the hatching container?

These are all common problems to getting good hatches, often times something changes without people realizing.

I tried a heater, and I tried a lamp...they both worked and then I tried nothing and it worked too.  Yesterday it was at the 36 hours to hatch...which I can live with.  Lately (this is my 3rd can of co-op eggs) when I look at the hatchery I see black stuff all over the sides...if I shake it it will mostly loosen and rise up.  When I drain the eggs I get a lot of darkness with the shrimp.  This is new for me as I have been getting very clear drainages.  I plan on slowing down the shrimp for my fish anyhows...getting too expensive.  Been feeding every other day.  Think I will go to once or twice a week.  I will post a pic next time I use.  I use a soft sponge cleaning pad with abrasive side...not very abrasive...costco blue style.  I do not check the temperature ever as room is kept 75 to 78.  I also put in a pinch of baking soda...no idea if this does anything...I should try without.

Edited by ispud

Also if you  use the zeiss hatchery do not run your airline in the bottom.  If it falls out you will have a very wet floor.  I was doing this and it worked, but one day I got to thinking....not a good idea.  I do hook a piece of airline onto the spout (actually into) when dispensing and run it down into collection container to facilitate hands free collection.  Speaking of which the stand that comes with hatchery if almost impossible to use....lives in the closet...I hang it on a 20 tall and then I can put a collection container on the stand the tank is on.  Works awesome.

• 1 month later...

seems to be working better since going back to one scoop of eggs...had been trying 1.5 scoops.  Only trouble now is the black specks in the shrimp when I harvest them.  I worry about choking out a fish on them.  No choking so far just me worrying.  Any suggestions to get a cleaner harvest??

thanks

Jack

2 hours ago, ispud said:

...black specks in the shrimp...

Do you mean inside of the living BBS there is a black spec, or you see black specs with the shrimp?  They do have two eye spots that look like black specs.  I think if you have unhatched eggs that's only a problem with fry and that may just be a myth (might be an interesting experiment for someone with too many fry).

Also WRT your initial problem low O2 levels will make BBS darker because they produce more hemoglobin to compensate.  less air or more eggs can lower O2 levels. 

I drain the shrimp into a container from the bottom of the hatchery.  I take the container and dump it into a shrimp net.  When I am doing this I see the black specks.  When draining the container they seem to congregate mostly on the bottom corner.  I have been dumping them back into the hatchery hoping to separate.  I do feed to fry and have not noticed any problem other than all my Koi fry have died except 2.  But fry in other tanks are eating the same thing so don't think it was the black specks choking them out.

6 hours ago, ispud said:

I harvest at 24 and then again at 36 hours....works for me.  here is a picture of the specks.

20210604_074926.jpg

Hey, I believe these black spots are egg shells.

Also, question leading from discussions above, will a colder temperature mean that the eggs do not hatch, or just that they will take longer to hatch. Cheers