Please help diagnosing disease

Coffincreep

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngCan anyone help me identify this disease/possible treatment? This fish has been deteriorating slowly for about 2-3 months now. Early on, the area around the dorsal fin began to lose color and look pale, now the scales there are entirely gone. Before it looked this severe, I treated for 5 days with ich-x and then a course of paracleanse. After no improvement, I treated for 5 days with salt, then another 5 at an increased level. Today I finished a course of Maracyn, but it continues to look worse every couple of days. No other fish in the quarantine are showing symptoms. Water temp has been between 71-78 over these months. ph-8, kh-5, ammonia-0, nitrite-0, nitrate 5-10 as of this morning. 

Edited by Coffincreep
updated title

It’s external. Fungal, or Bacterial. If Maracyn didn’t work, maybe try API Ethromyacin. Gram positive vs. gram negative treatments vary in effectiveness.

I’m going to say something controversial, which will bother some aquarists: there comes a time in this hobby where you must carefully evaluate the expenses of tons of medications against allowing some fish to succumb to ailments, while vigorously guarding against damaging more stock. A similar challenge arises when culling fish. We tend to desire to keep everything alive indefinitely. But in nature, this is not so.

Only you can decide when that comes for your fish. We’ve spent 1,000% of a fish’s retail price trying to keep some alive. But that is not a long-term expectation we can meet. 

2 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

It’s external. Fungal, or Bacterial. If Maracyn didn’t work, maybe try API Ethromyacin. Gram positive vs. gram negative treatments vary in effectiveness.

I’m going to say something controversial, which will bother some aquarists: there comes a time in this hobby where you must carefully evaluate the expenses of tons of medications against allowing some fish to succumb to ailments, while vigorously guarding against damaging more stock. A similar challenge arises when culling fish. We tend to desire to keep everything alive indefinitely. But in nature, this is not so.

Only you can decide when that comes for your fish. We’ve spent 1,000% of a fish’s retail price trying to keep some alive. But that is not a long-term expectation we can meet. 

Maracyn and e.m Eythromycin have same active ingredient try kanaplex and furan 2 together 

• Like 1