How to aclimate to outdoor life?

CT_

My rice fish have spent their time indoors unheated at 68 during the winter when I got them and now its 75 indoors and going to be close to 80 today in the seattle suburbs.  I want to get them in the tub pond but that water is still 53F.  Is there a good way to get them acclimated?  or is the temp difference too much? 

I could use boiling water to bring the pond up to say 60-65.  Tonight will bottom out at 50 and then it'll be cloudy and 50-60 in a week, but we've got 5ish days of sun coming up.

Ricefish are really hardy, I am pretty sure they would be fine outside even with those temperatures. If you wanted to be really safe about it, I would try to put them out when the nights are consistently around 60 degrees but like I said, ricefish will probably do just fine at the lower temperatures. No need to add boiling water, that might just kill any beneficial bacteria that you have. Just try to float them outside when the sun is out and they should be just fine. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Yanni said:

Ricefish are really hardy, I am pretty sure they would be fine outside even with those temperatures. If you wanted to be really safe about it, I would try to put them out when the nights are consistently around 60 degrees but like I said, ricefish will probably do just fine at the lower temperatures. No need to add boiling water, that might just kill any beneficial bacteria that you have. Just try to float them outside when the sun is out and they should be just fine. 

Yeah I'm ultimately not worried about the outdoor temps, and Seattle rarely stays as high in the 60's overnight except for the "heat wave" we get in summer for a week.  I'm more worried about the shock going from 75 to 55F over the course of an hour or something.  Its 8 fish going into 20-30 gallons so I'm not even too worried about cycling, though the tub has been "setup" for more than a month now with some decaying plant matter inside (sort of by accident and not a ton), so i think its fine.