Anyone else w/ fake plants?

FishObsessed

Not me. I used some temporarily for a week in a new tank while waiting for my plant orders to come in because I hate how an empty tank looks and I think fish would feel more comfortable with some kind of plant even if it is fake, but haven't used them again since. I just don't like the look of them.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

I only have fake plants in my daughter's tank -- her choice. It has live plants, too, and the fake ones aren't meant to look like any real aquatic plants (she was going for a fantasy theme).

When they're clean (after I give them a diluted bleach dip), they look great for a few weeks:

233558047_Lilliantank7-19-2020.jpg.91389bb71cc50d8989bd9bbe28675d20.jpg

I cleaned them in July, and this is what they look like 7 weeks later:

125433218_Lilliantank9-10-2020.jpg.8c260c9d9779f1c1e31b35e6620edba3.jpg

(Also, the water sprite died back a lot as you can see -- bioload had gone down, and I was still changing water at the same schedule and barely fertilizing. Trying to turn it around now.)

• Like 2

I've honestly thought about adding one or two in to mix it up. There was one area in the tank I had a hard time getting plants to take. I just stuffed hornwort in that corner and its doing fabulously.

I am not against using them and may use some on future tanks depending on what sort of look I am going for.

@StephenP2003 her tank looks pretty cool! What fish are in there? I see a guppy and are those rainbows?

@Streetwise thanks! This forum has been pretty great so far. I'm actually thinking about getting a 20gal or so and trying out my plants in that one...I like the look of a smaller planted tank with guppies or another small fish.  But I don't know how my husband will feel. He surprised me with my current tank and I dont think he knew what he was getting into lol. But he's pretty supportive so we'll see

@Matthew those are some impressive fake plants! I like the tank

Thanks all for the replies!

4 minutes ago, FishObsessed said:

@Ben Ellison I like the guppy tank....do you have your plants in gravel? And if so, how do you clean it?...i.e. do you gravel vac at all or around the plants? 

I had wondered the same thing until I saw a planted tank expert using a turkey baster. Just use it in one hand to stir up the detritus while you use the syphon in your other hand. Works great! Gets everything from gravel, rocks, driftwood, and plants.

@FishObsessedI wish I had gone with a 20 gallon but I got a 15 instead. Still a nice size but I wish I had caved and shelled out the extra for the slightly larger tank.  I went acrylic so cost was definitely a factor in my decision. The more I learn about the hobby the more I want to do. I want more killifish, I want a betta tank, I want a rainbow tank and pea puffers! I somehow thought that I'd be fine with just the one tank when I got started with this. I should have known better.

@FishObsessed and @Bill the substrate is seachem florite. And I know this not the general wisdom of the community but I have never gravel vacuumed it. In the early days of the tank I did frequent water changes but since then it more or less is self sufficient. I top off the water and clean the spounges a fair bit. The substrate is also very very dusty when moved so I really avoid disturbing it. I did hover my gravel vac inch or so above the substrate when I first put it together to get the dust out and I have used clarify when it gets really disturbed.

@Alisoni know! I just have the one, but there are so many fish out there that I like. And now I'm thinking a betta tank would be cool. And one or two 20 gallon tanks with live plants and smaller fish. Lol you could easily fork over a ton of money on this hobby

@Ben Ellison I have wondered if it would work to just get mainly the top of the gravel and go around the plants and decor and let the rest of the stuff in the gravel support the biological bacteria. 

Edited by FishObsessed

@FishObsessedYou aren't lying. I am still building the tank I have slowly. I need some more pygmy corys and I think I'm going to do a small school of 6-8 chili rasboras. I've already shoved what a lot of people would consider a shocking amount of money into this tank as it is.  I definitely don't have any regrets other than not planning for multiple tanks when I dove back into the hobby. I will probably be moving in a couple of years and that's definitely something I'm going to be taking into consideration when I start house hunting.