Fish that stop Robert in his tracks

Robert

I figure I might start a new post for me asides the usual fish list that I do weekly. To start off I want to give a little perspective on this post. One thing I really enjoy while working at the Aquarium Co-Op is seeing a fish that stops me in my tracks. This happens at least once a week where I pretty much have to stop what I am doing and just take a moment to take in the beauty of the fish and if lucky snap a good picture of it. Sometimes its a new fish that came in like a sweet betta or sometimes its something that's been sitting around for a while but just finally gained its full colors like a Bolivian Ram. My plan is to take a photo at least once a week of a fish that catches my eye and highlight it for you all to enjoy. 

For the first post, the fish that caught my eye this week and is looking exceptionally awesome is a Bolivian Ram in the shop 75 gallon display tank. This guy is in full color mode out of the group of 8 in that tank. Maybe its because of the slight heat wave we are experiencing in the Puget Sound or the great mix of live baby brine and quality frozen food, this ram made me stop in my tracks on Saturday and I would like to share these pictures with everyone.

bolivian ram.jpg

bolivain ram1.jpg

bolivain ram.jpg

• Like 13
  • Love 5

I'll have to admit on this post this fish is a runner up. Originally I had a wonderful looking Daisy's Blue Ricefish that was very nicely colored up with a full fin display going on but someone bought it before I got pic of it. These pictures below are displaying the Candy Cane Tetras. This is one of my new favorite fish I have came across this past year and I think they make a great addition to any community tank. The colors just keep getting better as they age and grow. One pic is what's currently in our shop and the other is showing fish from the same group but is living in my home aquarium with plants and a dark background. Food being offered is Xtreme Krill Flakes, live baby brine shrimp, and quality frozen food. Just wanted to show some fish look way better once they get in your home aquarium. This is a fish that stops me in my tracks every morning as I get ready for work. Unfortunately I feel my camera isn't getting the best pic of this fishes rich colors at home. Picture on top is shop tank picture below home tank.

candycane.jpg

candycane1.jpg

• Like 9

I have yet to see a fully colored up candy cane tetra in person but they look really good in that home tank picture. I do not know much about this fish but I immediately noticed that some have a black mark on the dorsal fin. Sexual dimorphism? Or simply just a mark? 

Thank you for sharing @Robert, cannot wait to see what stops you in your tracks next! 

6 minutes ago, Isaac M said:

I have yet to see a fully colored up candy cane tetra in person but they look really good in that home tank picture. I do not know much about this fish but I immediately noticed that some have a black mark on the dorsal fin. Sexual dimorphism? Or simply just a mark? 

Thank you for sharing @Robert, cannot wait to see what stops you in your tracks next! 

From watching I believe the black mark in the dorsal fin are males. So sexual dimorphism.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

For this week, the Daisy's Blue Ricefish are catching my eye especially this colored up male. Taking on a very dark color and with  orange pectoral fins and blue eyes that pop nearly like a Lampeye killi is making this fish really stand out in the sales tank. Females keep more of pale to orange look and males get that blue overtone to them. Could be the dark substrate that is helping with this color and excellent feeding. When the anal and dorsal fins grow out and have a bit of a frayed look to them this fish can really stand out in a nano community aquarium. We feed these fish a variety of frozen cyclops, daphnia, and live baby brine shrimp.

daisy1.jpg

daisy2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

These beauty's stopped me in my tracks this morning while I was doing my morning walk through of the shop. Red Lagos Killifish males doing some showing off between each other. I like these killis in that they are not too big so they usually play well in the right community tank if your looking for a centerpiece fish. Not short lived like many of the beautiful killis out there and can handle some heat. Most killis like it on the cooler end of tropical tank temp range. Pictures below are showing two males flashing out their fins. I also included a picture of a female which are much more drab in appearance. We sell these in shop as pairs. They go after almost every kind of food we offer them.

lagos 3.jpg

lagos femlae.jpg

red lagos1.jpg

red lagos2.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 4

On 5/8/2021 at 3:50 PM, Robert said:

the Daisy's Blue Ricefish are catching my eye especially this colored up male. 

daisy1.jpg

I've been seriously considering buying some Daisy's Blue Ricefish, but haven't seen any pictures of them this blue. Most seem pastel. Can I safely assume that when calm and well-fed, they tend to be obviously blue instead of just having a blue hue? 

1 minute ago, CalmedByFish said:

I've been seriously considering buying some Daisy's Blue Ricefish, but haven't seen any pictures of them this blue. Most seem pastel. Can I safely assume that when calm and well-fed, they tend to be obviously blue instead of just having a blue hint? 

• 2 weeks later...

Today these little beauties caught my eye, the African Butterfly Cichlid. Like the Bolivian Ram these little cichlids can take a while to color up. So its a fish that I would call a hidden gem in any pet shop. They stay small ( around 2.5" ) and are fairly peaceful though literature says they can be fairly aggressive during spawning but so is every cichlid. Some might say this fish is kind of like a "poor mans" German Blue Ram. Way easier to keep and doesn't need hot temperatures to really thrive. For tank mates they seem to get along with most fish. However though make sure to not put them in with overly rambunctious fish as this species is a bit shy. A bit hard to capture a good picture of this little gem. The black bands would come and go within seconds and if I moved near the tank the red piped fins would clamp down. But I was able to take about 3 decent pictures. Got these eating pretty much everything offered to them, live baby brine, Xtreme flake food, Xtreme pellets, and various frozen foods.

butterfly3.jpg

butterfly1.jpg

buttefly2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3