Close up of african mouthbrooder with fry! Also need guidance.

HenryC

Just wanted to share this little clip of my african cichlid, since I'm so excited. They have started to breed! I noticed this one was very shy and didn't eat at all, so I placed it by itself on a 20g long and when I examined it closer, I saw tiny fry squirming inside the mouth, that's when I remembered that some africans are mouthbrooders! You can see the little fellas thru his skin, they even move a bit! Can you spot the little eyes?

I've seen Rick from Co-op's video shake them off to drop out the fry in order to avoid stressing the mom too much right? Any way to tell when the fry is ready to do that? I've noticed this cichlid is a bit stressed so I'd like her to regain strenght and eat as soon as possible.

Edited by HenryC

8 hours ago, HenryC said:

Just wanted to share this little clip of my african cichlid, since I'm so excited. They have started to breed! I noticed this one was very shy and didn't eat at all, so I placed it by itself on a 20g long and when I examined it closer, I saw tiny fry squirming inside the mouth, that's when I remembered that some africans are mouthbrooders! You can see the little fellas thru his skin, they even move a bit! Can you spot the little eyes?

I've seen Rick from Co-op's video shake them off to drop out the fry in order to avoid stressing the mom too much right? Any way to tell when the fry is ready to do that? I've noticed this cichlid is a bit stressed so I'd like her to regain strenght and eat as soon as possible.

Congratulations!!! It is common for holding female Africans to go without food for 18-21 days. Don’t worry about her.

Here’s two ways to proceed... (1) strip the eggs and tumble / remove fry into safe tank or,(2) let her hold and release on her own in a quiet tank.

Here’s an example of the first method...

And here’s an example of the second approach, with one major error: these were hybrids, and were declined BAP points from our Fish Club, and were unfit to sell...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1