Want to do a German blue ram tank and need advice.

Hello, 

I am going to be setting up a 50 gallon tank for german blue rams(thanks dean) but I’m having a hard time finding tank mates. I watched the video with Sean talking about how they go with everything from corys to tetras, but can they really go that hot? 
I plan to stock the tank with:

2 pairs of German blue rams  

1 leopard frog pleco 

6-8 Cory cats (not sure which ones, maybe black schultzei 

school of tetras to be determined.

is this doable or will these fish not tolerate the high temps. How many German blue rams should I put in the tank? It will be heavily planted and it’s a 40 breeder but a little taller. 

thanks for the advice!  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Stealth Aquatics said:

Hello, 

I am going to be setting up a 50 gallon tank for german blue rams(thanks dean) but I’m having a hard time finding tank mates. I watched the video with Sean talking about how they go with everything from corys to tetras, but can they really go that hot? 
I plan to stock the tank with:

2 pairs of German blue rams  

1 leopard frog pleco 

6-8 Cory cats (not sure which ones, maybe black schultzei 

school of tetras to be determined.

is this doable or will these fish not tolerate the high temps. How many German blue rams should I put in the tank? It will be heavily planted and it’s a 40 breeder but a little taller. 

thanks for the advice!  

German Blue Rams are our favorite dwarf Cichlid. If you want to breed these guys, the answer is different than if you just want a bunch.

Theyre great with Discus and Cardinal Tetras. You can run that sort of tank pretty hot. Ancistrus work well also, but may munch down Ram eggs over night.

Here’s a couple of videos from our tanks featuring  LOADED tanks of Rams we’ve raised...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Fish Folk said:

German Blue Rams are our favorite dwarf Cichlid. If you want to breed these guys, the answer is different than if you just want a bunch.

Theyre great with Discus and Cardinal Tetras. You can run that sort of tank pretty hot. Ancistrus work well also, but may munch down Ram eggs over night.

Here’s a couple of videos from our tanks featuring  LOADED tanks of Rams we’ve raised...

So say I do a species only tank, how many German rams would safely be kept in a 40 breeder? 
could I put amano shrimp in to help clean? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stealth Aquatics said:

So say I do a species only tank, how many German rams would safely be kept in a 40 breeder? 
could I put amano shrimp in to help clean? 

If you want to put 20x Rams in there, you can. There will be battles and fights, but there will be enough to sort out a pecking order and disperse aggression. Cherry shrimp can work out alight with them, as long as there’s places to hide. Bristle-nose Plecos  work well, but really appreciate wood to harvest food from off of. 

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

If you want to put 20x Rams in there, you can. There will be battles and fights, but there will be enough to sort out a pecking order and disperse aggression. Cherry shrimp can work out alight with them, as long as there’s places to hide. Bristle-nose Plecos  work well, but really appreciate wood to harvest food from off of. 

I’m thinking I’ll do 1-3 l 134 plecos, 2 pairs of rams, some amano shrimp. A few ottos, and a schooling tetra. I’ll drop the cory cats because I just can’t find one that I think can tolerate that heat. I think that bio load will be small enough that a 50% water change once a week will keep the water quality okay. 
I just want to do my fish right you know? I don’t want to have incompatible fish or over stock ect. So many choices. 

• Like 1