Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hi all, I ordered 12 pygmy corydoras from aquahuna and they arrived in 4 days with two dead on arrivals. I put the fish in a bare 10 gallon quarantine tank with a cycled sponge filter from an established tank and a heater(edit: the tank is 78 NOT 87) . I started off dosing Fritz Maracyn and within 24 hours, two more had died. Fast forward another 24 hours (now) and two more are dead. I got worried that I didn't start off dosing the right thing so I added one packet of general cure and 5 mL of Ich-X. The two dead from just now are the ones in the picture. Parameters are fine. I had the cycled sponge in the tank running for 9 days before the fish arrived so it was fairly stable at that point. Half my pygmy corydoras are dead and I'm pretty sad about it. I have considered reaching out to the company to see what they have to say but I wanted to ask on this forum first about what yall thought. The one cory on the left seems to have very red gills which was probably from shipping and ammonia burns but I can't be sure. These pygmy corys came in at about 1.3 cm so I have been feeding them cut up frozen bloodworms (2x day) during their med treatments because they are so small, I don't know if they could afford to wait a whole week. 

In summary, It's been 48 hours since I received the fish. 6 are dead and I don't know where to go from here. Please let me know what you think about the situation and the picture of the two dead fish. Do you see anything I am missing? I plan on emailing the company tomorrow morning but for now I am just going to hope the rest make it. 

PXL_20210418_011243656.jpg.45d0b27a0e1ce3b54d6959e2416d5d5f.jpg

Edited by Grace Shvodian
Link to post
Share on other sites

When that happened to my Otos I just kept the water *stupid* clean. (I was medicating for Ich and did daily water changes)

I will say too, personally I'm not big on medicating fish unless they are displaying signs of illness. I know that's contrary to what a lot of what I've seen people do here. I feel like in my experience say here if all they have is ammonia burn, medication a) isn't going to help and b) may stress them more. Just my opinion.

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
to clarify
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Definitely looks like ammonia burn that I've seen in the past. They all look like that?

No. It was just the one with the very red gills. This morning there is one more casualty so I think I need to change something before they all die. I'll probably do a water change to get rid of some meds?

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

When that happened to my Otos I just kept the water *stupid* clean. (I was medicating for Ich and did daily water changes)

I will say too, personally I'm not big on medicating fish unless they are displaying signs of illness. I know that's contrary to what a lot of what I've seen people do here. I feel like in my experience say here if all they have is ammonia burn, medication a) isn't going to help and b) may stress them more. Just my opinion.

I think that's very interesting. Do you just keep them in a holding tank and observe them or do you put them into your established tanks? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A Few questions:

  • When you added the fish to the tank did you add the water that was in the bag to the tank? Or did you add the fish sepertley?
  • Whats your water parameters like? Its really hard to tell what happend if we don't know your water parameters
  • I would do a waterchange regardlesss. Not to necessarily remove the meds but to remove anything toxic that may be in the water. It always seems to help me when my fish are acting strange.
Link to post
Share on other sites

87 is pretty warm for pygmy cory - i tried to treat ick once with heat (the pygmy did not have ick but were in the same tank) they couldn't take the heat and i had to abort after a couple of days after which the rest were fine.

-

Also most places where i buy on line they suggest the minute you open the bag you dump the fishes to prevent ammonia burn - if you open the bag and leave them in the bag the waste will mix with air and can potentially cause burn. I know this is contrary to aquahuna instructions but if it took 4 days instead of 2 i would probably do the dump. I will note that aquahuana does use a lot more water than most shippers which helps dilute the waste.

-

More precisely i pour the fishes into a net and the water in the bag down the drain then add the fish - i never add water in a shipping bag to the tank.

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@Grace Shvodian yes, I quarantine my fish and observe them closely. I only medicate when necessary. Now, when I spoke of my Otos it was obvious right away they had Ich so they got Ich medication- I did not treat them with anything else. The 4 days definitely could have affected them, and though some may disagree I've seen SOME Corys and most assuredly Otos that are ultra sensitive at least at first when stressed. Have you since observed any true signs of illness? 

@anewbie I do the pour and dump method myself. It works, even when they're from my LFS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The company, in my limited experience with them, is pretty responsive and helpful - and that was even when I wasn't a paying customer so you could try to reach out.  

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I'm not sure what it is with these little cories, but they do seem pretty sensitive.  I recently had an experience where I got 7 habrosus cories (not from aquahuna - from a local store) and now I only have 4 left.  All the deaths seemed to have differen't issues.  I initially didn't medicate, just observed, but as I started losing them and I wasn't sure why I ran through all the meds.  I think next time I will try the aquarium coop method of quarantining with meds at the start and see if that helps prevent losses.

I agree that it would be helpful to know what your water parameters are to weigh in on whether a water change would be necessary now while you have meds in the tank.    

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, James Black said:

A Few questions:

  • When you added the fish to the tank did you add the water that was in the bag to the tank? Or did you add the fish sepertley?
  • Whats your water parameters like? Its really hard to tell what happend if we don't know your water parameters
  • I would do a waterchange regardlesss. Not to necessarily remove the meds but to remove anything toxic that may be in the water. It always seems to help me when my fish are acting strange.

I do the acclamation method where you float the bag then dump the fish into a net over a bucket and put them in. I don't put any dirty bag water in the tank. The water parameters are 0.0 ammonia, 7.4 pH, 0.0 nitrite and 5-10 nitrate. I did a water change this morning and they have been doing okay. The fish are in a 20 long that's half full because I was dosing meds but I just went ahead and filled it up 100% to hopefully maintain stable water parameters. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, anewbie said:

87 is pretty warm for pygmy cory - i tried to treat ick once with heat (the pygmy did not have ick but were in the same tank) they couldn't take the heat and i had to abort after a couple of days after which the rest were fine.

-

Also most places where i buy on line they suggest the minute you open the bag you dump the fishes to prevent ammonia burn - if you open the bag and leave them in the bag the waste will mix with air and can potentially cause burn. I know this is contrary to aquahuna instructions but if it took 4 days instead of 2 i would probably do the dump. I will note that aquahuana does use a lot more water than most shippers which helps dilute the waste.

-

More precisely i pour the fishes into a net and the water in the bag down the drain then add the fish - i never add water in a shipping bag to the tank.

Oh gosh. They aren't at 87, they are at 78. I didn't realize I wrote that. And yes. I know it is toxic to open the bag so I waited until the last second to open it. And I didn't put any of the bag water into the tank. I know that in the bag, the pH skyrockets and the ammonia becomes more toxic to the fish so I kept that in mind. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...