Best Dechlorinator for Chloramine

Hello All! 

I have been using Seachem Prime for about 20 years for treating water but recently switched to Seachem safe because I change a lot of water and have a lot of tanks. But I have been hearing from many people in my circle that Hikari Ultimate is the best, I was curious why it was the best and I was wondering what the best for chloramines were because my water is super high in chloramines. 

4 minutes ago, lefty o said:

idk, all ive ever used is stress coat. imo, if it works dont mess with it.

I switched from prime to safe because I was having to triple dose prime to combat the chloramine so that wasn't really working. Safe is working out now but I just was curious if someone had experience on the best for chloramine. 

I double dose the safe currently.... to be safe. 

5 hours ago, GardenStateGoldfish said:

Hikari Ultimate is the best

What would they mean by "the best"? Would it not do the same thing as Fritz and prime and safe?  Also, do you know your chloramine level in your tap water? I have about 1ppm usually, but water quality reports say it can be as high as 2ppm. I tend to overdose anyway out of laziness. I have a pump head on my prime bottle and it's about 1.5-2ml per pump.

Hikari, unlike Seachem, actually provides composition information on their decholorinator! Based on what they divulge, they all seem to use some combo of sulfur and salt. Trying to rank them seems like a fruitless endeavor. They all contain chemicals intended to deal with both chlorine and chloramine.

conditioner.png

• Thanks 1

I use time and an air stone... I have a 65 gallon horizontal drum on a stand near the ceiling of my basement. Have water running to the top with a ball valve shut off. An air stone runs constantly in it to gas everything off. That then can gravity feed to all my tanks in the basement (12) I still have to run buckets to my 75 upstairs. 

My theory is a chemical is a chemical is a chemical. If I can avoid adding one to combat the other I'm money ahead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSH OUTDOORS said:

I use time and an air stone... I have a 65 gallon horizontal drum on a stand near the ceiling of my basement. Have water running to the top with a ball valve shut off. An air stone runs constantly in it to gas everything off.

It takes 3 months for chloramine to break down and then gas out of water, unfortunately.