Tetraodon schoutedeni (Spotted Congo Puffer)

Eclipse

Sergeant Ruby is my first puffer. I got her for $50 from a local hobbyist who was breaking down his tank. She's been such a joy to have. She gets along with all her tank mates and never makes trouble. She used to have a best friend that was an American flagfish. Sadly he passed away and Ruby barely moved for a week after that.

She is fed a diet of ramshorn snails, bladder snails, and a variety of live worms raised in my worm bins and cultures.

Anyone else keep this cute species of freshwater puffer?

20200908_225217.jpg

20200908_225210.jpg

20200908_214321.jpg

20200908_214309.jpg

IMG_20200718_152138.jpg

IMG_20200328_182013.jpg

IMG_20200314_154701.jpg

IMG_20200223_135858.jpg

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Eclipse said:

Sergeant Ruby is my first puffer.

Well, she is a beauty! Thanks for sharing her with us. I'm so interested in puffers, but worry that I'd not be able to keep them fed and happy. I already stress about making sure my red-tail botia and pygmy chain loaches ( and alllll the snails) get enough to eat. When they live with guppies, it's hard to make sure! LoL!

7 hours ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

These are on my list of fish I want to keep, I just need more room for more tanks, but working on expanding my fishroom this fall. 

I can't wait to see the tank when you're done!

5 hours ago, akconklin said:

Well, she is a beauty! Thanks for sharing her with us. I'm so interested in puffers, but worry that I'd not be able to keep them fed and happy. I already stress about making sure my red-tail botia and pygmy chain loaches ( and alllll the snails) get enough to eat. When they live with guppies, it's hard to make sure! LoL!

It's easier when you keep cultures of their food so you never have to worry. It's even easier if you can get these stubborn fish to accept frozen food. Ruby sadly has never been convinced to convert to frozen even though I've tried fasting and tricking her. I highly recommend trying puffers at least once though. They're very unique and have such big personalities, even the dwarf puffers.

2 hours ago, Irene said:

She's sooo cute! I would love to keep that species someday, especially since you can put them in a community setting.

Yes! They're wonderful fish with such big personalities. I highly recommend SCPs in particular because they aren't as aggressive as other species.

• Like 2

I almost got one for the 90-gallon I built late last year. I even had started intentionally letting pond snails go nuts in my other tanks for a few months in preparation, but I sort of talked myself out of it, or let my LFS talk me out of it -- they go for $200 there, and one employee told me they tend to get sick often. It's not off my wish list, though.

On 9/18/2020 at 12:20 AM, StephenP2003 said:

I almost got one for the 90-gallon I built late last year. I even had started intentionally letting pond snails go nuts in my other tanks for a few months in preparation, but I sort of talked myself out of it, or let my LFS talk me out of it -- they go for $200 there, and one employee told me they tend to get sick often. It's not off my wish list, though.

I have not heard they get sick often. Puffers do need to be treated for parasites as most are wild caught. And that's usually all you need to do. That price sounds about right though.

• 1 year later...

I have one of these guys and he is the absolute best! I keep reading online they should be kept alone because of how aggressive they are??? I disagree! Mine has been living in my tank with a panda garra, 3 cherry barbs, and 4 neon tetras just fine with 0 aggression for about 4 years now. Just bumble bees around all day exploring and looking for food. I feed him frozen blood worms, and ramshorn snails that I breed myself. Will be adding more to his diet soon as I am seeing he may be a little skinny compared to others I’m seeing online (Oops). My water has somehow crept up to 82 degrees without me noticing… he’s still doing fine. As to them being prone to getting sick…I have not had a problem with anything besides Ich when new tank mates come in, which I am currently treating for again. Hoping he will pull through I will probably cry if he dies. Very cool fish!!! 🙂