WiFi Temperature Monitor

Hoss

So, had a heater break and basically cook a tank.  Not the first time it's happened, but it's been years.  I'm still not sure how exactly it broke, just know it was stuck on and wouldn't turn off.  

Second, and not the same tank, I just ended up inheriting some discus, they were a package deal when I helped someone out who was losing their house and needed to sell off all their tanks.  So we bought them.  And they have to be kept at a much higher temp than most of my tanks...obviously.

All together, this means I need to have a better way to monitor a number of tanks.  We don't breed for profit, we just like the tanks and the fish.  Dining room, fish tank, living room, two tanks plus two walls o tanks behind the sliding glass doors.  Bedroom, tank, office, tank, other bedroom, tank.  You get the picture.

This whole house is flooded with wifi signal and run several strong home automation systems.  What I'm looking for is an affordable water probe that can monitor tank temps and alert me when it gets out of range.  I want to set each probe to it's own range and have it alert me when it gets out of it.  I want to set this on every single tank I have and program it up.  Surely someone here has done something similar, I'm looking for some insight on how you've set this up.  What you used and so forth.

Thank y'all...

• Sad 1

On 4/16/2021 at 2:44 PM, Daniel said:

In term of monitoring and alerting I use and very like the Neptune Apex system. But most people wouldn't consider this 'affordable'. I think it is easily worth it, but that is a judgement call.

I've looked at it, problem is so many of our tanks are spread out, the cost of putting them on all the tanks, throughout 3k sq foot of home is probably a bit much.  But I do like the look of them.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:11 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

I'm thinking about them particularly for my discus tanks, just because it's another layer of security.  As a general plan, they are my fallback, I'm just hoping to find something that will record, alert, similar to how the APEX system does, but more general use.  I'll keep looking, I'm sure what I want is out there.  LOL, 

Thank you

51 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I'm thinking about them particularly for my discus tanks, just because it's another layer of security.  As a general plan, they are my fallback, I'm just hoping to find something that will record, alert, similar to how the APEX system does, but more general use.  I'll keep looking, I'm sure what I want is out there.  LOL, 

Thank you

Yeah these are the cheaper options but they do record heat temperature over time and alert you via text and email and alarm on your phone.

6 hours ago, Mmiller2001 said:

Yeah these are the cheaper options but they do record heat temperature over time and alert you via text and email and alarm on your phone.

I reached out to their support about how to tie multiple pieces.  Their gateway only seems to have 4 devices connected at a time.  So I'm trying to get a handle on how that works for them.  Thank you sir

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Has anyone found a good WIFI temperature monitor? InkBird has two different options, a Bluetooth thermometer with an optional "hub" to connect up to four devices for WIFI connectivity. Otherwise they have the $50 WIFI temperature controller. I found someone of Reddit who basically made their own WIFI temp controller for less than $20, I'm considering doing something similar.

The only other product I have found was a WIFI thermometer from AquaEL, which isn't available in the US and may not even be available in Europe yet.