Show Off Your Buce!

Hi All! 

I just got a nasty case of anubias rot that took out half of my plant stock in my 5g so I'm shopping for Bucephalandras to replace them. Looking on Buce Plant, they have a ton of different kinds and it's kind of overwhelming. I would love to see photos of yours and get recommendations to help me decide what to buy. I'm open to all kinds in all shapes, colors and sizes.

My tank parameters are stable pH at 7.4, nitrates at ~10, temp 76 degrees, low light, low tech. Dosing one pump Easy Green once a week. 

Thank you! 

• Like 2

@Jennifer V To be honest, the only reason I got tissue cultures was to try it as I had never gotten tissue culture plants before. Also, this is for a 40 gallon breeder aquarium and I knew it would be much cheaper if I bought tissue culture as a single cup has a lot of plants. I ended up buying 2 cups and that was enough for me. You just have to be patient to let the plants settle in. I will attach pictures here for your reference.

2 Days after setup:

9986027B-A9C5-46CC-8CA5-B9B5DDB9D19F.jpeg.b7c9a046df9d43e4fcc82d7407002268.jpeg

A little over a month after setup:

E4C298A8-AB4E-44E0-856F-ECEADC1A9A33.jpeg.9e1694c111cbcd7f4ad37b0e1d9bc469.jpegD25E3685-AC74-4EF2-BD11-F382611B406D.jpeg.db69850e52e0ce91464e902075c764cb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Very nice scape! My buce is not doing so well, particularly the parts that are on the outer edges of the shade that the tree provides, algae really taking hold. I think I have a lot of emersed leaves right now too, and it's a CO2 injected tank which maybe is putting those leaves in more of a stasis rather than converting.

My goal was a buce carpet around the tree, but I may have to rethink.

IMG_20210415_233138.jpg.40e1c69c2ff6ddefbfa3bff3d768797b.jpg

• Like 1

My buce is very sad looking. 😅 If I remember I’ll post a picture tomorrow. The only thing I’ve learned about growing it is that it prefers high water flow—the high flow seems to help it stave off algae. It’s great to see everyone else’s healthy plants!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Jennifer V said:

@StephenP2003 what kind did you get to carpet? I think they look pretty cool. 

I've bought so many varieties that I couldn't list them all, but the bright stuff on the right thats about to flower is just your normal green wavy variety. Among the others are brownie blue, godzilla, and some mini varieties that might recover one day.

Buce variety naming is out of control. You find the same plant a mile down the creek and it's an entirely different name. And you add blue to the name if you squint at a piece of buce at dusk while you're a little tipsy and one leaf kind of looks blue. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hobbit said:

My buce is very sad looking. 😅 only thing I’ve learned about growing it is that it prefers high water flow—the high flow seems to help it stave off algae.

I did read that and am not sure I have high enough flow but I do have little algae-eating critters so maybe the plants will be fine. Still love to see yours! What kind did you get? 

• Like 1

I got Kedagang round. I ordered just one of them but it turned out to be four small plants wrapped into one. It’s been five months since I glued them to the driftwood—they’ve lost some leaves but also gained some leaves. Not a huge success but not a failure (yet) either!

E791ED1D-98A5-4FB9-840B-43639E1CDA05.jpeg.6480d617b4422e52119087c9a9e67cfc.jpeg

270A6AAA-0158-4830-98F6-55389D22BB78.jpeg.1b98c7afc8d92e3eb135879983dd4883.jpeg

• Like 2

@StephenP2003 your buce looks great, especially the flowering green wavy buce. I do not have a ton of experience with buce but it is very similar to anubias. Too much light and algae growth will take place on the older leaves. Lower light intensity and patience are the key. I would not give up so easily on your carpet though. It will take a long time though unless you buy even more to fill in any gaps.

@Hobbit very nice sword plant! For the buce, I would recommend patience like I mentioned above. I am not sure what light you have but your buce is likely receiving a lot of it given the placement in the tank. However, if you are able to keep the algae off of it, there is no need to move it. The good news is that it has grown new leaves in your aquarium, it was likely or maybe still is going through an acclimation process. Slow growing plants do everything slow, grow slow, die slow, acclimate slowly so just give it time like you would anubias or Java fern or bolbitis. 

• Like 2