10 Gallon Tank Stocking Question

Jack

I have a 10 gallon tank with an Aquatop Forza 5-15 filter and I was planning to put in one male Beta and seven Harlequin Rasboras. Would that be overstocking? I used the inch per gallon formula because I couldn't find a better formula. Is there a better stocking formula?

The tank dimensions are 20"L 10"W 12"H

WIN_20200909_14_05_06_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200909_14_05_15_Pro.jpg

There is no secret stocking formula because there's so many factors that go into it: type of fish, plants, what you feed, how much you feed, water change schedule, filtration, and the list goes on. It'd be impossible to capture all that in a formula, so I think the inch per gallon rule caught on because it's easy to remember, easy to apply, and gives a reasonable estimate. As you gain more experience, you can fine tune what works for you.

Personally I think your stocking level is pretty reasonable, but I might just be giddy to see a betta going into something bigger than 0.25 gallons (poor things!). Are those plants in your tank live or fake? If they're live, that'll also help keep levels in check, and I see you have a test kit standing at the ready so that's a good sign as well. 

That said, I don't have any experience keeping bettas with other tankmates, so I'd defer to others on compatibility of those 2 species.

10 hours ago, Ben Ellison said:

I think you could make it work @Jack but I'd take it way slower. I'd start with 1 betta. Then add like 3 rasbora in a few weeks then add more a few weeks after that. 

Thank you for the suggestion I will definitely try it.

10 hours ago, Sykes said:

Are those plants in your tank live or fake?

Since I am a beginner to this hobby I did not use live plants in this tank. I hope to be able to try it soon but I just did not do it in this tank.

7 harlequin rasboras will be fine for a long time but when they get full grown they are a full 2 inches. They look bigger then all other nano fish that I have. So it may become overstocked and require more frequent water changes as they get older. If it was me I would do the betta and 5 harlequin rasboras. But I agree with start with the betta then add 2 or 3 and then 2 or 3 more! You should be fine! 

You could try out some live plants like Java ferns or Anubias as well. Rhizome plants don’t need to go into the gravel so you can grow them regardless of your substrate. And those plants are sold at any pet store! Those will help the tank a lot! 

• Like 2