New betta owner, advice needed

Bailey

3 hours ago, SWilson said:

lol welcome to multiple tank syndrome...it happens so fast! 😝

Even with the pygmy corydoras I personally would prefer to do it in the 10 gallon or bigger tank, becuase they like to be in even bigger groups than the panda or other bigger size cories.  And even four fish is a decent amount of waste to manage in a 5 gallon, b/c of you have to feed enough to ensure the cories get enough food "down there".  In the five gallon, you could also try shrimp or snail tankmates if you're interested in keeping those.  

I don't know if this is helpful at all for your space issue, but this video shows you how to make a cheap and sturdy aquarium stand with 2x4s and cinderblocks. 

I swear I am not "handy" and I managed to do this.  I did cut the 2x4's down to the right size for my aquarium because I wasnt making a fishroom rack. Most hardware stores will do the cutting for you, but you'll have to be careful handling the wood unless you have a sander.  I tried to make mine pretty by spraypainting the cinderblocks. (this is my 16 gal) 

There are also other threads on this forum where ppl have shared creative and low-cost alternatives for fish tank stands.  

Anyway, sorry for blowing up your thread so much!  and absolutely not trying to tell you what to do. you seem to be already really knowledgeable and know what you want to do. 

IMG_1767.jpg

That looks really nice! If I can find the space maybe I can try something like that 🧐 For now, I think I'm just going to try and be patient, wait for the plants to really grow in. I still have no idea what I'm doing, so one tank is probably the best idea...Maybe I'll add a snail if I start to get algae (which I kinda hope I do 😅). I had assumed the 5 gallon was too small for more fish tank mates, too so I'm glad you reinforced that for me. You've been really helpful, can't thank you enough. I'll hopefully have a good update on a few weeks and I fish with a tail that hasn't been ripped to shreds from his anger issues 🤞

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 8:07 PM, Bailey said:

I do have 2 empty ten gallons that i bought on sale, but I don't have anywhere to put them. (Small house and cheap furniture 😆) I have my 5 gallon on my bedroom dresser, but it wouldn't support 10 gallons. I do love panda corydoras and corydoras sterbai but I'm assuming the 5 gallon is far too small for them. What about 3-4 Pygmy corys? Although, the betta is already in the tank so I couldn't introduce him after as recommended above, so that would be an issue too...

Not trying to be nosy—and maybe this is not something you want to do for esthetic reasons, but what does your dresser look like and what is it made of? I believe that a filled 10 gallon weighs approximately 100lbs depending on the amount of rock you have in it.  The weight is spread across the base of the aquarium so it is not like putting a hundred pounds in a small spot which would put more stress on whatever material your dresser top is made of. If the top is made of pressed board you can put an additional piece of wood under the tank that extends over the vertical supports of your dresser.  You can paint that wood black to match the frame of your tank or you can cover it with some kind of vinyl contact paper to make it resist water.  This method can strengthen the structure of your dresser to support a ten gallon tank or even a larger one if it fits.  The main thing is you want the weight of the tank to be transferred to the vertical supports of your dresser.  Most dressers that are not wobbly can handle a filled ten gallon tank this way easily.

Just want to help you get the set up you need without too much money or work so that your fishy friends will be happy and so you will be happy!😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lifeisgood said:

Not trying to be nosy—and maybe this is not something you want to do for esthetic reasons, but what does your dresser look like and what is it made of? I believe that a filled 10 gallon weighs approximately 100lbs depending on the amount of rock you have in it.  The weight is spread across the base of the aquarium so it is not like putting a hundred pounds in a small spot which would put more stress on whatever material your dresser top is made of. If the top is made of pressed board you can put an additional piece of wood under the tank that extends over the vertical supports of your dresser.  You can paint that wood black to match the frame of your tank or you can cover it with some kind of vinyl contact paper to make it resist water.  This method can strengthen the structure of your dresser to support a ten gallon tank or even a larger one if it fits.  The main thing is you want the weight of the tank to be transferred to the vertical supports of your dresser.  Most dressers that are not wobbly can handle a filled ten gallon tank this way easily.

Just want to help you get the set up you need without too much money or work so that your fishy friends will be happy and so you will be happy!😊

Thanks! I honestly have no idea what it's made of 😅 but I do think the top is a pressed type of wood, like particle board or something? I got it at a chain furniture store a few years back. I have been tossing the idea back and forth, and I think I'm going to try it, especially now with the reassurance and the advice! 

• Like 1