Newbie Ques: Fishless cycle going well. When to add plants and more plant related questions

I am new to the hobby and have just started my first low tech 20g long freshwater tank. Fishless cycling with a hardscape is going well (using Stability and Brightwell's Quick Cycl Ammonia additive). I am also using Eco-Complete as the substrate.

I am planning to add live plants before any fish. So do I do this once the tank is fully cycled? How do I keep the tank cycled while the plants are settling in to their new environment (no fish, so no ammonia... is that right?)

I would really appreciate some tips and advice in this area. 

Thank you!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sudz said:

I am new to the hobby and have just started my first low tech 20g long freshwater tank. Fishless cycling with a hardscape is going well (using Stability and Brightwell's Quick Cycl Ammonia additive). I am also using Eco-Complete as the substrate.

I am planning to add live plants before any fish. So do I do this once the tank is fully cycled? How do I keep the tank cycled while the plants are settling in to their new environment (no fish, so no ammonia... is that right?)

I would really appreciate some tips and advice in this area. 

Thank you!

Welcome to the hobby! You're going to do great. You can go ahead and add plants right away. Plants will bring along some bio, and will help process ammonia. Eco Complete is a great substrate to use.

One thing that's helpful to learn is your source water parameters. Learn whether you've got hard or soft water. You'll want to get the API KH and API GH titration (drip) tests. Also learn whether your source pH is high, low, and how much it changes when rested over night with an air stone in.

I realize that right now you're focussed on cycling your tank. But going forward, the most important factors will be knowing your source water. This will help you gauge how well plants will do in your water, and some factors to bear in mind when  stocking your tank with new fish.

I will say -- a 20 gal long is our absolute favorite smaller tank. The dimensions are perfect. Good luck with everything!!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Welcome to the hobby! You're going to do great. You can go ahead and add plants right away. Plants will bring along some bio, and will help process ammonia. Eco Complete is a great substrate to use.

One thing that's helpful to learn is your source water parameters. Learn whether you've got hard or soft water. You'll want to get the API KH and API GH titration (drip) tests. Also learn whether your source pH is high, low, and how much it changes when rested over night with an air stone in.

I realize that right now you're focussed on cycling your tank. But going forward, the most important factors will be knowing your source water. This will help you gauge how well plants will do in your water, and some factors to bear in mind when  stocking your tank with new fish.

I will say -- a 20 gal long is our absolute favorite smaller tank. The dimensions are perfect. Good luck with everything!!

Oh great, thank you! Admittedly, the planting aspect is what I have been looking forward to the most.

I have definitely put my API Master Kit and the GH and KH tests to good use already. Luckily, my lfs was pretty impressive in terms of sending me home with some solid advice in terms of getting a great start on the cycling.

I am using RO water along with Seachem Equilibrium (so far, I have not needed to use a buffer). I  started cycling with the following parameters:

PH 6.8, KH (dKH) 4 and GH (dKH) 7.

After 3 days, PH is constant at 6.8, ammonia is steadily dropping (started at 2ppm and down to 1ppm today) and I am starting to see some Nitrites (0.5)

I am hoping these all sound great so far and will work for planting purposes?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sudz said:

Oh great, thank you! Admittedly, the planting aspect is what I have been looking forward to the most.

I have definitely put my API Master Kit and the GH and KH tests to good use already. Luckily, my lfs was pretty impressive in terms of sending me home with some solid advice in terms of getting a great start on the cycling.

I am using RO water along with Seachem Equilibrium (so far, I have not needed to use a buffer). I  started cycling with the following parameters:

PH 6.8, KH (dKH) 4 and GH (dKH) 7.

After 3 days, PH is constant at 6.8, ammonia is steadily dropping (started at 2ppm and down to 1ppm today) and I am starting to see some Nitrites (0.5)

I am hoping these all sound great so far and will work for planting purposes?

A word of caution: R. O. water will require you add ample fertilizers for plants. Plants need the minerals normal tap / city water provides (minus the chlorine or chloramine of course!)

Check out Red Fish Blue Fish YouTube channel. He’s a great plant guy, and I think he used R. O. System, so he’d have great tips.

Also, see if you can get yourself a copy of “Sunken Gardens” for excellent tips on planted aquariums. 

335CAA78-624E-4C11-9B01-AE0CCE39A544.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk

1 minute ago, Fish Folk said:

A word of caution: R. O. water will require you add ample fertilizers for plants. Plants need the minerals normal tap / city water provides (minus the chlorine or chloramine of course!)

Check out Ted Fish Blue Fish YouTube channel. He’s a great plant guy, and I think he used R. O. System, so he’d have great tips.

Also, see if you can get yourself a copy of “Sunken Gardens” for excellent tips on planted aquariums. 

335CAA78-624E-4C11-9B01-AE0CCE39A544.jpeg

I appreciate all the advice. I will definitely take a look at both of those resources!