Temp when treating ich

Dxjxrose

So I have my heater cranked and I can't get to 84°f consistently.... I go between 82 and 84 because we have the AC going do to some abnormally high temps outside.... It's a 60 gallon tank with one 150 Watt heater..... The heater works great to keep me at 76 on the normal.... Should I get a new heater or is 82 to 84 ok for treating ich.... I'm using salt and super ich cure at the moment......

I think you are good in the 82°F to 84°F range . Heaters and thermometers have a lot of variation in accuracy. If I put three thermometers in a tank, I am almost certain to get 3 slightly different readings. Likely the average of the 3 is more accurate than any one.

So heating in the range your thermometer indicates even with the ups and downs will help disrupt the ich lifecycle.

So the only reason you raise the temp of the aquarium is to speed up the lifecycle not the ich. It can only be killed when it's in the water. Which happens between the time the cyst has fallen off to the gravel and the cyst reappearing on the fish times two. The goal is to get it into the water as often as possible to let the meds kill it. Other than that I don't think the temp really matters.