Cycling process of 29 gal.

4 minutes ago, RockMongler said:

Looks like your pH is maybe dropping slightly since your last check in.  The ammonia is looking good.  You should consider yourself cycled when the nitrite stays that nice blue instead of turning purple.

Do you know if your high pH is a consequence of your tap water, or something in your tank?  What is a glass of tap water set out for a day (or even right out of your tap) measure as far as pH goes?  If you are using crushed coral as a substrate, that could be leading to your higher pH (and hardness).

The pH out of the facet is 7.4.  I'm thinking it's probably the basalt stones or the eco-complete?  I have been dosing once a week with easy green for the plants.

Just now, MichelleMichelle said:

The pH out of the facet is 7.4.  I'm thinking it's probably the basalt stones or the eco-complete?  I have been dosing once a week with easy green for the plants.

I've never personally messed with eco-complete, but all those organics could possibly shoot your pH up, but I would normally expect that would drop your pH.  But, again, not something I have personally messed with.  

Your basalt shouldn't have any effect on pH.  Basalt is going to be inert because its almost 100% water insoluble silicates.  I was mostly asking about the white material you have above your eco-complete, because that looks more likely to be non-inert.  If that is crushed coral (or, more scientifically, it's made out of calcite or aragonite, and might have been sold as limestone sand), that could push your pH higher.

31 minutes ago, RockMongler said:

I've never personally messed with eco-complete, but all those organics could possibly shoot your pH up, but I would normally expect that would drop your pH.  But, again, not something I have personally messed with.  

Your basalt shouldn't have any effect on pH.  Basalt is going to be inert because its almost 100% water insoluble silicates.  I was mostly asking about the white material you have above your eco-complete, because that looks more likely to be non-inert.  If that is crushed coral (or, more scientifically, it's made out of calcite or aragonite, and might have been sold as limestone sand), that could push your pH higher.

Oh interesting I can see what you're saying.  It's just aquatic substrate.. I'm assuming that's a safe substrate?

20210416_132743.jpg

keep in mind that the ph will come down as part of the cycling process, so that's a good thing. I've used eco-complete a number of times and never had any issues with high ph. If that is the imagitarium sand, it tends to be very fine. Once you get fish in that tank,  a lot of it will sink down into the eco complete. The advantage of eco complete is that it will pull nutrients out of mulm and the water to help deliver those to the plants. If that sand doesn't allow this to happen, it loses some of its benefits. When that happens you can also run into issues with anoxic layers as well. Probably a little late now lol but for future reference eco complete works best without a cap.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, MichelleMichelle said:

Oh interesting I can see what you're saying.  It's just aquatic substrate.. I'm assuming that's a safe substrate?

20210416_132743.jpg

Looking at reviews of this brand, yeah, that's not inert substrate.  I see lots of reviews saying it shoots up folks' pH.  It definitely looks like it's crushed limestone or something.  It's probably a fine substrate, but it is good to remember it is going to definitely increase your TDS and pH higher than it would otherwise be.

15 minutes ago, RockMongler said:

It's probably a fine substrate, but it is good to remember it is going to definitely increase your TDS and pH higher than it would otherwise be.

It may actually give people some buffer (KH) who wouldn’t otherwise know to add it!

10 hours ago, Ricklax96 said:

keep in mind that the ph will come down as part of the cycling process, so that's a good thing. I've used eco-complete a number of times and never had any issues with high ph. If that is the imagitarium sand, it tends to be very fine. Once you get fish in that tank,  a lot of it will sink down into the eco complete. The advantage of eco complete is that it will pull nutrients out of mulm and the water to help deliver those to the plants. If that sand doesn't allow this to happen, it loses some of its benefits. When that happens you can also run into issues with anoxic layers as well. Probably a little late now lol but for future reference eco complete works best without a cap.

I started to vacume it out.

2 hours ago, RockMongler said:

Looking at reviews of this brand, yeah, that's not inert substrate.  I see lots of reviews saying it shoots up folks' pH.  It definitely looks like it's crushed limestone or something.  It's probably a fine substrate, but it is good to remember it is going to definitely increase your TDS and pH higher than it would otherwise be.

I had no idea.  I only used one small bag. I started vacuuming it out. I'll just stick with the echo complete.

10 hours ago, Ricklax96 said:

I did vacuum a much out as possible last night.  I'll add the rest of the eco-complete I have left.

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 11:19 AM, DeniseT said:

Just curious to see if your pH came back down??

Hi Denise, Thanks for asking.   Here are my current results.  I am using 3 pumps of easy green once a week.  Not sure if that makes a difference 🤔.   I added a current picture of the tank.  I have 4 Cory's.  2 parents and 2 offspring from first breeding. On my third breeding now.   The wigglers are in a separate tank. About 8 ember tetras, 4 leopard Danios  had 5 but one jumped had 3 Celestial danios but found one dead this morning (first death in this tank), and 2 Ottos.

20210605_120609.jpg

20210605_120924.jpg

• Thanks 1