Stocking suggestions and opinions

Mr. Ed's Aquatics

I have been working on a new tank for a couple of months with the intention of stocking it with Angels and Rams bred by Dean.

20200909_111914.jpg.9e146aee8aa386528c15e97c16f6a13f.jpg

Seeing the plants converting well and the cycle complete I told the wife my plans to make the hour drive to the Co-op and get some of master breeder Dean's beauties  and was quickly asked "are your fish that you breed not very nice or worth featuring?" I was kinda defensive and explained that I breed different types of fish and no Angels or Rams. My wife (who likes fish, but doesn't have any herself and is a novice at best) then asked "wouldn't it be better for your Appistogrammas, corys, plecos and livebearers since its only a 55? Or did you only want a couple Angel's and Rams?"

I'm kinda worried she's right, and I don't just want a couple of Dean's fish.  I really want a school of Angels and a couple groups of Rams. 

What do you all think? Is a 55 too small for what I'm trying?  Should I feature hobbyist Mr Ed's fish instead? Or something completely different? I think I really should fix up the empty 100gal for the Angels now.

Anyhow, any thoughts appreciated 

Angels, I'd go with a pair or a single one. You can get a bunch and wait until they pair off and return the ones that don't.  Rams, you can do two pairs in there. I'd look for bonded pairs at the fish store because they can be picky about their mates. Even if you get two sexes, they might not find each other compatible..

They're both territorial fish with their own species and need plenty of space to establish their own territories. Rams need 20 gallons per pair.

Angels and rams should get along just fine if that's a concern as they occupy different levels of the water column. But when they spawn, that's when all hell can break loose.

Edited by Eclipse
  • Like 1

I don't know if it's fate, but Dean himself posted a proven mated pair of the Philippine Blue Angels I wanted on the GSAS page just now. 

I think I am going to compromise and buy his pair for the tank I made and add my own bred corys, Appistogrammas and platties. That empties 3 grow tanks and gives me time to get the 100 ready for growing out my own angels. Can always add his rams to the bigger setup. Maybe he'll post a mate pair of midnight rams by then. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

I've had pairs in 38 bow fronts, 40 breeders and 55s. Never kept more than 2 in anything under a 100 gallons ( thus my initial concern) since they tend to pair up and kill off any other Angels in tanks not big enough to have multiple territories. 

I can see why only two Angels in that size tank. I'm assuming you could still put a few corys or a few kuhli loaches in with them.