What do you like to feed your nano fish?

Jess

Wondering what you guys like to feed your tiny nano fish!  I have a dozen chili rasboras, and I have tried several foods for them: 

• Xtreme Nano Pellets are too big (they constantly spit them out; I wouldn't consider this a nano fish food despite the name). 
  • Sera Micron is too small (it just floats on the surface and makes a mess, and it's really annoying to get it out of the bottle...I would not buy it again!).
  • BBS is a bit hit (no surprise there)
  • Hikari Fancy Guppy food they also love (these are tinier than the Xtreme Nano)
  • Hikari freeze-dried tubifex worms (they do eat these...but not that exuberantly; main problems are that tiny pieces of a cube don't stick to the aquarium glass like a full cube will, and this food floats and the chilis don't prefer getting their food from the surface)
  • Hikari frozen bloodworms (again, they kinda like these but they have to be manually pulverized and they tend to sink too quickly to be practical)

I want to try Hikari Micro Pellets next.  And I also need to get more fish that will eat all these foods I bought, LOL. 🤣

FWIW, here I'm considering nano fish to be fish that are under 3/4" or 2cm.  I also keep licorice gouramis and I don't consider those nano fish. They only eat BBS, but that's a different story (spoiled little micro-predators 🤣😆 ).

• Like 1

I pretty much exclusively keep smaller fish, I tend to feed a lot of fry foods. Microworms, baby brine, Coop's Easy Fry. I like to mix sera micron with hikari first bites and I use a miniature spoon (that came with Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine) to make feeding these small foods easier. I keep cleaning crews of shrimp in almost all my tanks and I'm sure shrimplets are on the menu. I do grind down some other flake/pellet foods and bug bites is pretty popular with my fish. I'd also like to know what others are feeding their nano fish. 🤓

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Bru said:

I pretty much exclusively keep smaller fish, I tend to feed a lot of fry foods. Microworms, baby brine, Coop's Easy Fry. I like to mix sera micron with hikari first bites and I use a miniature spoon (that came with Ocean Nutrition Instant Baby Brine) to make feeding these small foods easier. I keep cleaning crews of shrimp in almost all my tanks and I'm sure shrimplets are on the menu. I do grind down some other flake/pellet foods and bug bites is pretty popular with my fish. I'd also like to know what others are feeding their nano fish. 🤓

Such a great mix!  I haven't tried microworms yet, but I really want to.

I've had great luck getting my CPD, adults and fry, to eat Hikari Micro Pellets, Vibra Bites and Fluval Bug Bites flake. Typically, I mash them up with a makeshift mortar and pestle (shot glass and sharpie) to create larger and smaller particles. Frozen home-grown brine shrimp are another big hit among my little guys.

I should add that I always feed them with a pipette. Squirt 5 mL of water into the shot glass after I've ground the food, stir until combined and then squirt over the surface. Like your chilis, the CPD prefer to grab food from the water column. They'll eat surface floating food, but it takes them a while.

Edited by Schwack
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, KBOzzie59 said:

50/50 mix of bug bites and tetra color in a pepper mill.  I get the large pellets and adjust grind as needed.  It will even make fry food.

image.png.7993336d6581855878935a52d8e5c05f.png

Great advice! 
I love the jar tank. We had one that we loved but even though it’s one piece it started leaking. 

5 minutes ago, Schwack said:

Squirt 5 mL of water into the shot glass after I've ground the food, stir until combined and then squirt over the surface

This is such a cool idea!  I'm gonna try that with my Sera Micron.  I'd like to try the Vibra Bites and Bug Bites someday too.

3 minutes ago, Demobanana said:

Hol up whats BBS? Not really experienced with nano fish but planning on getting some soon

Shorthand for baby brine shrimp. They're super popular among fish of almost all sizes. Even my big bettas will gulp em down.

All my fish, which range from small adults to very small (but not microscopic) livebearer fry love the co-op's Easy Fry and Fish Food. It's basically high-quality dry food ground up into a coarse powder in a convenient "ketchup bottle" dispenser. My only complaint is that it's a little hard to control the portions. One "puff" can be a tiny pinch or a big ol clump depending on the humidity.

But everyone loves it, and the price is good! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jess said:
  • Xtreme Nano Pellets are too big (they constantly spit them out; I wouldn't consider this a nano fish food despite the name). 

I totally agreed with you until I pre-soaked them for a few minutes. Once they absorb a little water and soften up even the tinyiest of fish can gobble them up.

• Like 1

Repashy, any flavor, spooned or squirted into a tank instead of mixed into a gel is loved by all my fish, from adult angel to white cloud fry.  The co-op fry food is amazing, I put some in almost every tank almost every day, and every fish seems to love bug bites.

Edited by 1moretank
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, 1moretank said:

Repashy

This is one I really want to try.  Not sure my chili rasboras would eat it (not midwater) or my licorice grouamis (because they like to hunt their food), but I want to try it when I get new fish!  I'm also gonna try the Co-op's Fry Food.  I was hesitating between that and the Sera Micron...I think I went with the Sera because I wasn't sure it would work out and didn't want to waste a giant bottle of food!  Also, the Sera Micron is a super-fine powder so I've been experimenting with feeding it to my BBS to try and keep them alive a little longer.  I feel really bad about the ones that die before I get a chance to feed them to my fish...I mean, they die either way but I don't want to waste their lives (maybe I'm a weird person though, LOL).

Edited by Jess