Anyone catch their own fish food (insects)?

theotheragentm

I've been doing a lot of work in my garden as the weather gets better and I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on free gourami food when I come across big, fat earth worms. On the other hand, I worry about introducing some kind of parasite or illness into the tank because apparently I'm an aquarium hypochondriac after a bout of camallanus worms.

54 minutes ago, Schwack said:

I've been doing a lot of work in my garden as the weather gets better and I can't help but feel like I'm missing out on free gourami food when I come across big, fat earth worms. On the other hand, I worry about introducing some kind of parasite or illness into the tank because apparently I'm an aquarium hypochondriac after a bout of camallanus worms.

I feed chopped up earthworms to my discus, and admittedly I have a high tolerance for risk.

In Daniel logic world by feeding earthworms to my fish, I am boosting their overall health and immune systems by providing them a high quality fresh source of live food. So that if they ever were to be challenged by disease or parasite they would be more likely to not suffer any ill effects. But I could rationalizing.

Well I accidentally left the lid out of my "bottle ecosystem" project out and my window is pretty loose. Saw some mosquito larvae one day and decided to feed them to my fish, the danios destroyed them but took them some work to see them. Occasionally I find the dead mosquito in my tank for god knows why. Don't know how bad mosquitos are for you guys, down here in California they don't come very often, but when they do they're small and sneaky. One time one went into my Coke, I'm sad to admit I just dumped the coke and got a new one without hesitation.

never farmed them before though. Sounds fun to farm daphnia, already have a bunch of cyclops and copepods in my tank I can't get rid of.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I feed chopped up earthworms to my discus, and admittedly I have a high tolerance for risk.

In Daniel logic world by feeding earthworms to my fish, I am boosting their overall health and immune systems by providing them a high quality fresh source of live food. So that if they ever were to be challenged by disease or parasite they would be more likely to not suffer any ill effects. But I could rationalizing.

I'm sure you're right, I'm just gun shy about changing anything after having one tank wiped out by parasites. I'm sure the pearl gourami would be down for bits of earthworm, they're closing in on 4" now and are probably tired of frozen blood worms.

• Like 1