Aloha everyone new here but long time aquarist. I live on the big island of hawaii, and have been into aquariums for as  long as I can remember. I went to an explorations academy on the west side that specialized in marine and plant biology where we raised everything from reef fish, all the way up to baby hammer head sharks and eagle rays. That was the start of my journey, I am currently undergoing a small fun project of betta breeding and crossing so join along with me on all of my adventures 😄 currently looking into guppy breeding next so any advice or suggestions on that would be helpful. If you guys have any questions or just wAna chat feel free to reach out to me I’m always thrilled to make new friends in the same hobby and interests. Aloha again and hope everyone has a blessed and awesome day. I have included some pics of my current setups, I have my two pairs of betta currently in their holding jars as I set up their permanent tanks, my two fry tanks and my community tank. My community tank has 4 angels, two baby plecos, 8 long fin zebra danios and 7 neon tetras.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

Aloha HanaHoo 808!  I’m on Oahu myself though if I could move to Hilo I would in a heartbeat.  Starting an opae ula tank so I can have a bit of the Big Island here.

Is that wax paper that you’re writing your fish notes on?  Love it!

4 hours ago, Emika_B said:

Aloha HanaHoo 808!  I’m on Oahu myself though if I could move to Hilo I would in a heartbeat.  Starting an opae ula tank so I can have a bit of the Big Island here.

Is that wax paper that you’re writing your fish notes on?  Love it!

Heyy Emika_B nice to have a fellow person from Hawaii to chat with as well! And oohhh opae ulas are amazing little shrimp, I used to have two 20gal cultures of them fully supporting two breeding pairs of my dwarf Hawaiian seahorse we caught off shore while night fishing for opelu. And no it’s some extra tape I had lying around from work I like to write on that instead of the glass itself in case I transfer them into different tanks I can keep their notes with them and keep adding on. 

6 hours ago, HanaHoo808 said:

What breeds have you done??  

I don't even remember whether they were something more specific than mutt guppies. I just thought of them by color, but it was fun to cross colors and see what came out. 

That was back when I didn't know there were any water parameters to test besides temp and pH. It's a wonder any survived. Toward the end, I even had to use clove oil on some just out of mercy - not knowing it was MY fault that they were in such bad shape. 

My knowledge, access to info, and restraint are all far better now. I've recently bought a few endlers (ie bulletproof alternative to guppies), and am eagerly awaiting their first babies. 

Anyhow, my best wishes for your guppy project! The colors are so fun - they're like a swimming paint palette.