FishObsessed

Sand or round gravel like that should be totally fine, in my experience. Actually, Cory went on a fish collecting trip to Peru and showed that the natural substrate where some corydoras are found is often quite sharp (jump to minute 22:45). Hope that helps!

Edited by Irene
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

My corys are all on pea gravel that I purchased at Home Depot. I have never had a single issue. I’m not a big fan of sand. Like Cory said in the previous post, just make sure they are able to get to the food without serious digging and they will be just fine.  I feed wafers and they are all fat and happy. 

• Thanks 1

I have a range of corydoras (from pygmy to emerald and all sizes in between) on a range of substrates -- nice smooth aquarium pea gravel, finer flourite gravel, eco complete, and the chunky, jagged flourite red. It hasn't been an issue. As Cory mentioned above I do feed wafers to make sure they have easy access to food.

• Thanks 1

I have a few different types all on gravel or planted substrate like ecocomplete.  They all are doing fine.  I have six panda cories that have been on gravel but now ecocomplete that have been with me almost nine years. They are still pretty healthy. 

barbel erosion is a water quality issue. Not a substrate issue. You can have Corys on sand and still have barbel erosion due to conditions in the tank. You can also keep them on lava rock and have perfectly intact barbels in healthy water. 

This is just one more myth in fish husbandry.