Nano Tank Size  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Nano Tank

• 10 Gallons or Lower
    • 20 Gallons or Lower
    • 30 Gallons or Lower
    • 75 Gallons or Lower
    • Other (please specify)

A nano tank to me means any size setup that houses only tiny inhabitants (around 1 inch). This is a bit of a controversial opinion, but if I were to do a nano tank, I would actually not prefer a high tech, delicate carpeting aquascape. I instead would prefer to just do a long tank (20 long), or a 40 breeder and make it a jungle type aquarium (I've be starting to lean toward these recently). Limiting oneself to tiny fish allows for not only large numbers of inhabitants, but also a very large variety.

• Like 3

I agree with @CorydorasEthan and @lefty o. Its about the size of the fish not the size of the tank.  My current "Nano" tank that just got fish yesterday is a 38 gallon tall.  I have a number of tanks between 3 and 10 gallons but this is the only one i affectionately call the "Nano" tank.  I can't wait to get it fully stocked but for now it has 8 CPDs, 10 Chili Rasbora, 6 Emerald Rasbora, 6 Asian stone catfish, 5 endlers (2M 3F) and a few Neon Blue Goby (them being the largest and only there for detritus cleanup after setup)

• Like 1

I really wish people wouldn't jump on the smaller metric prefixes so fast.  nano leaves so little space to go for other words.  Across the internet I've seen 20g and less be called nano but I wish >5 to 20ish could be called mini or micro.  And nano could be used for tank sizes that you "shouldn't" keep fish in.  like a 2.5g.  I've seen some amazing sub 5g tanks with a few very tiny fish that I just love but we don't have a commonly used word for those.  I think about the 2.5g long tank in ACO too much.  If there was a how-to video on that tank I'd buy everything in there and remake it at home, but right now they look too intimidating.

6 minutes ago, CT_ said:

I really wish people wouldn't jump on the smaller metric prefixes so fast.  nano leaves so little space to go for other words.  Across the internet I've seen 20g and less be called nano but I wish >5 to 20ish could be called mini or micro.  And nano could be used for tank sizes that you "shouldn't" keep fish in.  like a 2.5g.  I've seen some amazing sub 5g tanks with a few very tiny fish that I just love but we don't have a commonly used word for those.  I think about the 2.5g long tank in ACO too much.  If there was a how-to video on that tank I'd buy everything in there and remake it at home, but right now they look too intimidating.

C'mon, there is always "pico"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The descriptions are varied, and I don’t have a strong opinion. I label my 20 gallon units as nano tanks, and my 7.5, 3.5, 2.5, and 1.25 gallon tanks as pico tanks.

For marine tanks, I think that folks consider filtration based on size. For freshwater, it might be more about the minimum size for common fish. Perhaps Angel Fish would represent moving bigger than nano.

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

C'mon, there is always "pico".

2 hours ago, CT_ said:

Pico is a commonly used term to describe reef tanks 5 gallons or less, since they consider nanos to be much larger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fish Folk said:

5.5 gallons or less is proper “nano” . . . but I’d say most of what we keep qualifies as generally “nano” . . . 20 gal or less. I think once you get to a 29 gal, you’ve leveled up. 

This right here. 

• Like 1

I voted 10 gallons or less - but only because I read it somewhere. 20 years ago before I left the hobby I'm not sure  I would have even known what "nano" meant, but I probably would have answered tiny beta bowl or shot glass back then.... 

Edited by PlaneFishGuy