Black neon fail.

Krakens_tanks

• 1 year later...
On 4/14/2021 at 10:55 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

...and I've woken up to 10 left. Found that body- was one of the small ones. Really is discouraging. 

I have been reading everything on the forum about black neon tetras because I have been having the same experience. The group seems to have stabilized with the remaining four black neons--two males and two females, all robust adults. No trouble with any of the other species inhabitants (neon tetras, corys, neos, ghost shrimp, snails).

• Like 1

I had a somewhat similar experience with black skirt tetras. They would be terratorial with the center of the tank and nip eachother. There was a decent amount of fin damage on a few of them, and one ended up with a massive gash on it's side. Luckily I had no fatalities. Eventually I caught them terrorizing my mystery snails and that was the final straw for me and I returned them. I had previously been interested in red phantom and Serpae tetras, but I am much more reluctant to try them after my experience with the black skirts. 

On 3/2/2023 at 2:55 PM, Ninjoma said:

. . .  I had previously been interested in red phantom and Serpae tetras, but I am much more reluctant to try them after my experience with the black skirts. 

I know serpae tetras have a reputation for being fin nippers, but I firmly believe they got that reputation from people putting them in tanks in too small numbers, or with inadequate cover.  I've had a group in my 40 gallon breeder community tank with pearl gouramis, pristella tetras, and corys for over three years with no issues.  I've seen numerous reports from other fish keepers with similar experience with them.

I'd like to encourage you to try them.  They're one of my favorite fish (great combination of appearance and hardiness), and I hate to see people avoid them.  If you get at least eight, and if your tank is at least moderately planted, I'd be very surprised if you have problems.

• Like 1