mynameisnobody

Hello everyone, 

I have a 75 gallon with 12 Chilatherina Alleni Wapoga in it. I also have 12 Rhadinocentrus Ornatus Searys Creek in a 40 gallon. I want to consolidate a bit so if I were to toss the Rhad’s in the 75, is there the potential for hybridization? My gut tells me no, however I want to be absolutely certain before doing so. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly

I am not a rainbow fish expert but the rule of thumb is that animals of different genus do not typically hybridize--though there are exceptions, which always makes me wonder if they aren't actually misclassified. I would agree that they are not likely to hybridize. IF they did, offspring would likely be infertile and visibly different from both parents.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Manny said:

Hello everyone, 

I have a 75 gallon with 12 Chilatherina Alleni Wapoga in it. I also have 12 Rhadinocentrus Ornatus Searys Creek in a 40 gallon. I want to consolidate a bit so if I were to toss the Rhad’s in the 75, is there the potential for hybridization? My gut tells me no, however I want to be absolutely certain before doing so. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly

I don't know much at all about rainbowfish, but based on my limited background knowledge of hybridization would say probably not. It is only possible for species only hybridize if they are of the same genus. For example, Endler's livebearers (Poecilia wingei) and guppies (Poecilia reticulata) are both of the same genus, and it is possible for them to hybridize easily. Horses (Equus ferus) and donkeys (Equus africanus) can hybridize to produce mules (though infertile), only because of human intervention. It is possible for tigers (Panthera tigris) and lions (Panthera leo) to hybridize, though only with the meddling of humans once again. So many hybridizations are only due to human intervention, and even then, they are always going to be from the same genus. This leads me to the conclusion that it is pretty unlikely for the species from different genera to hybridize.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Manny said:

@CorydorasEthan @Brandy Thank you for your replies, that’s exactly what I thought. Worst case scenario, I could always add some corydoras and if they ever did hybridize, the eggs would get gobbled up. 

Corydoras do not hybridize between species. Though the different varieties of diverse species (such as Corydoras aeneus) can breed between each other, as they are the same species.