What should I do with my 1.5 gallon tank and 2 gallon tank?

I have a 1.5 gallon tank, and a 2 gallon tank. Should I do a nano tank in my house?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. For a 1.5 gallon tank?

• Don't put anything there
    • Put shrimp in there
    • Put snails in there
    • Put something else (Please comment below!)
  2. 2. For a 2 gallon tank?

• Don't put anything there
    • Put shrimp in there
    • Put snails in there
    • Put something else (Please comment below!)

Personally I wouldn’t add anything. Whatever money you would spend on shrimp, plants, or snails, could just be set aside. Wait for a $1 per gallon sale and buy a 10 gallon or 20 gallon for either $10 or $20. Then your options open up tremendously compared to a 1.5 or a 2 gallon. Good luck! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Streetwise said:

My 2.5 gallon pico tanks are shrimp tanks with lots of plants and no technology. My 1.25 gallon is just hosting plants and snails, like a wet houseplant. For my tanks, the tea color comes from organic soil, and tannins from the wood. I love it!

41E18222-D77C-4E9F-BFED-4EA02F011BCC.jpeg.5c2e3f7e5248bd1658d6e03390771961.jpeg

EA91E0ED-548D-4B0A-B9D4-BE4F223D4DF4.jpeg.1728e429a4f114cec3709a7c208bea27.jpeg

Just want to say . . . these are absolute perfection. 

• Thanks 1

I have a betta in one of my 3.5 tanks, and just wood and plants in another, including some rubber plant scraps that I am growing out. My third one (not pictured), was just a utility tank, but I might plant it and keep some shrimp in it or get another betta. I always plant very heavily, but I think it is especially helpful in tiny tanks to keep things in balance.

IMG_2423.JPG.0dcfdf5df49993e20425de17552bad7e.JPG

IMG_2626.JPG.b49d9bce815388a76735c9b9c8acbfd6.JPG

27354849-F9F6-4731-AF0A-082A8E0142E5.jpeg.dab22ab9408f32a0d6f3b686018fe1fa.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

@erererwill Aquarium Co-op accept?

I don't know, you'll have to ask @Cory if the Coop does trade-ins of cherry shrimp for store credit, but you're sure lucky to have such a great store for your LFS!

Edited by ererer
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

@Cory, do you accept cherry shrimp?

You would need to email our customer service or talk to Robert in person. Have pics, price, etc. Talk to Robert as he is doing all the ordering. The reason i don't handle this, is perhaps there is another deal going where we have a bunch coming in from another hobbyist. Or the quality isn't as high as what we already sell etc. Too hard to manage remotely.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

How many cherry shrimp in a 1 gal?

I would do a few, maybe 4-5, you could also experiment on a website called "AqAdvisor" I'm not sure if they are able to work with tanks that small, but it's great for larger sizes: https://aqadvisor.com/

As for the 3 gallon I would second the idea of a clown killifish, good luck!

• Like 1

White clouds are a schooling fish, so you’d have to get more than one in order for them to thrive. I would have to agree with a lot of others that a one gallon can’t have fish unless it’s temporary (ex. Grow out, at, etc). Definitely smaller inverts like shrimp and snails, maybe some ramshorn, nerites or pond/bladder snails?

8 hours ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

What about like ONE fish in a 1 gallon?
Idk what fish. help?

I understand that you really want to keep more fish, but unfortunately you have restrictions with your parents on what you can keep. Unfortunately, anything less than 2.5 gallons really shouldn't house fish. It's not good for the quality of life of the fish, and I imagine that is important to you since you wouldn't be on here asking about it otherwise.

If you're looking for something more interesting to you than cherry shrimp or snails, and you could consider trying out a reef tank though, people do make 1 gallon tanks work for some of the less demanding species of coral, and you could add a small snail or shrimp to it. Check out this amazing 1 gallon pico-reef: https://www.nano-reef.com/featured/2021/saltygallons-1gal-all-in-one-pico-reef-tank/

Edited by ererer
  • Like 2