What should I do with my 1.5 gallon tank and 2 gallon tank?

I have a 1.5 gallon tank, and a 2 gallon tank. Should I do a nano tank in my house?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. For a 1.5 gallon tank?

• Don't put anything there
    • Put shrimp in there
    • Put snails in there
    • Put something else (Please comment below!)
  2. 2. For a 2 gallon tank?

• Don't put anything there
    • Put shrimp in there
    • Put snails in there
    • Put something else (Please comment below!)

10 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

What about a 1.5 gallon tank?

That could still be useful as a hospital or slow-growing plant tank.  And I think shrimp and snails would be very happy to help keep those plants from getting too much excess algae.  Biggest thing to remember with putting more substantial critters like fish in a tank that small is how quickly waste can build up.  Less water volume = more water changes to keep parameters stable.  Most snails and shrimp tend to have a fairly low bioload. 

Personally, I'd be a bit spooked with a 1.5 gallon and how quickly the water could get fouled up if something goes wrong for much more than snails and plants.  

• Like 1

Sounds like MTS is hitting you!

I would do anything in the 1.5. Maybe some shrimp but you will have to keep their numbers down, as they do breed rapidly.

Some shrimp wouldnt be a bad idea in the 2 gallon, just once again keep their numbers down. Take a trip down to your fish store everymonth and sell of some shrimp.

You could do both snails and shrimp in the 2 gallon, but probably not both. 

I would reccemend some sort of neocardina shrimp species like the Cherry Shrimp.

For plants I would do plants that absorb the excess nutrients in the tank, because it will be overstocked. Maybe some Hornwort, any floating plants, Java Moss (shrimp really like moss).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

How many cherry shrimp is good in a 1.5 gal? Java moss is good, what about heater/filter?

I dont think you'll need any heater for cherry shrimp, they can withstand very low temps. I've heard storys of the shrimp breeding with ice over the water.

for filter I would do spongefilters, most any other kind of filter will suck in the shrimp and kill them. Make sure the sponge filter is at a low flow.

I would do maybe 4 in a 1.5. and then 6 in a 2 gallon.

50 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

what about heater/filter?

I pretty much have that running right now, since my betta is in qt for beds I had to take the heater out, and my 5.5 is designed to be a Walstad aquarium so it doesn't have a filter, just plants to consume the nitrogen. After the tank blackout for a bit of green water ends (today!) I'll just have a light as the only piece of electronics on the aquarium for awhile.

40 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

how do I make sure they don't breed a lot?

You can't really, I've heard about people feeding their shrimp culls to fish as a live food? I would also agree with @James Black and sell some, you could probably earn enough to get some food and supplies. 

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper
  • Like 1

Yes, although at that size it would be kind of pushing it, you'd probably want to get a sponge filter, or some fast growing plants like hornwort, duckweed, etc, maybe both. A 2 gallon would probably work better, but it can definitely be done with a bit of extra work. I would do 2-3 just to be cautious for a 1.5 and maybe a couple more for a 2 gallon.

1 hour ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Okay, how do I make sure they don't breed a lot?

Feed less. Like snails more food = more breeding. They can eat exclusively algae and biofilm, or they can eat small amounts of fish food, veggies, etc.

27 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Do you need a heater/filter? Because I'm a teen, and I'm low on budget.

No, you don't need either. At the most you could add an airstone, but even that is not necessary. Do small weekly water changes and you will be fine.

24 minutes ago, Catfish_Lover_Jane said:

Okay, will a 1.5 be enough? And how many cherry shrimp can I add?

Start with 4-10. Provide wood, plants rocks. More surface area the better. I would say with good water changes, feeding, and some live plants you can probably house 20-30/gallon. 

As a teen, you may want to breed them as fast as possible, actually. If you put them up on a local site like Craigslist you can easily sell them for a dollar or two each, and use that as fish money!

• Like 2

For the 1.5 I’d say make it a tiny aquascape, no critters.  Well, maybe a small snail or two.

For the 2, I’d say opae ula, Hawaiian volcano shrimp.  I’m doing a 5 gallon, almost ready to add shrimp. They’re tiny, require no filter, air stone or heater.  They eat nearly nothing and are just so much fun to watch skitter about.  

3 minutes ago, Dawn T said:

Plants and shrimp would be my go-tos for such small tanks. I haven't found fish I'd want to put in that small amount of water.

I agree with @Dawn T for long term. I will say, though, that temporary housing or fry raising can happen with <1-gal water containers if enough care is taken to cycle, water change, etc. Below are 1-gal jugs for Killis and (eventually) grow outs for Betta fry.

6F2B8D5C-AFD8-427D-996E-B219A5B68B51.jpeg

6BD0FB31-9B6B-4FF0-90F3-C20D0AC36CB5.jpeg

46F5CCB9-051C-464B-9DD4-FE03B8BCFE82.jpeg

68600305-0DE2-43BE-9C2B-FA7D3BFCA5D6.jpeg

• Like 3

My 2.5 gallon pico tanks are shrimp tanks with lots of plants and no technology. My 1.25 gallon is just hosting plants and snails, like a wet houseplant. For my tanks, the tea color comes from organic soil, and tannins from the wood. I love it!

41E18222-D77C-4E9F-BFED-4EA02F011BCC.jpeg.5c2e3f7e5248bd1658d6e03390771961.jpeg

EA91E0ED-548D-4B0A-B9D4-BE4F223D4DF4.jpeg.1728e429a4f114cec3709a7c208bea27.jpeg

Edited by Streetwise
  • Like 6