My metal racks are from a local commercial shelving company, they are in branded so I don’t know who makes them. They are a rivet type shelving and are adjustable about every inch. They do have heavy duty cross bars that have no deflection under the weight load of the tanks. I also add 3/4” plywood shelves on each level.

Of note; these aren’t sold in a kit each piece is individual, do for a unit I buy the uprights I need, the side to side rails in the load bearing weight category I want (there are three types), and the side a middle supports in the depth I want. I buy and cut my own plywood as having them do it is too expensive. I also do use a metal strap to my walls somewhere near the tops of the units.

• Like 2

On 3/4/2023 at 7:14 AM, Mahi27 said:

I cannot answer your anchoring questions because I also need that information, but I can tell you that my 24x18x72 Gladiator rack does NOT by itself support an 18"-deep tank. The advertised depth includes the like, frame around the shelves, and the shelves are like a quarter inch recessed into the frame. Hard to describe. But basically there is a lip on either side that reduces the real shelf depth to like 17". I had some egg crate light diffuser which as it turns out is just about 1/4" tall, so I cut it to fit on the shelf and provide support to the 40 breeder I wanted to set up. It's been going for about a year now and it looks fine, but definitely not ideal. 

Thank you! We went and got one of the huge Husky ones from Home Depot that's 77x24x78. I did not want one that big, but it seems that's the only option for it to be secure. We also didn't anchor it, and I'm hopeful having the tanks as centered as possible won't end in disaster.

At this point, I'm pretty well over it all. lol It'll look nice when the cichlids are able to move-in to the 90 though.

Again, thank you for your insight! I appreciate it!

• Love 1

• 10 months later...

Im looking into buying my first rack system to have nano tanks on. This is the rack I found on home depots website.

Rack: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Muscle-Rack-5-Tier-Boltless-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-in-Silver-Vein-36-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-18-in-D-UR361872PB5P-SV/300097687#overlay

I may eventually plan on getting a 20G long tank as well but for now its only 10 gallon tanks. Is the rack good for the size of tanks I plan on using? or would a steel wire tank also be fine? looking for suggestions so please feel free to give any.

On 2/2/2024 at 1:10 AM, Mauricio117 said:

Im looking into buying my first rack system to have nano tanks on. This is the rack I found on home depots website.

Rack: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Muscle-Rack-5-Tier-Boltless-Steel-Garage-Storage-Shelving-Unit-in-Silver-Vein-36-in-W-x-72-in-H-x-18-in-D-UR361872PB5P-SV/300097687#overlay

I may eventually plan on getting a 20G long tank as well but for now its only 10 gallon tanks. Is the rack good for the size of tanks I plan on using? or would a steel wire tank also be fine? looking for suggestions so please feel free to give any.

The concern I'd have with this rack is that the actual shelves are made of particle board. They can weaken and collapse if water gets into it. 

On 2/2/2024 at 3:24 AM, Gideyon said:

The concern I'd have with this rack is that the actual shelves are made of particle board. They can weaken and collapse if water gets into it. 

Yep, if I do get this one I'll definitely swap it out for some plywood