Jungle Vallisneria brown on arrival

I'd leave it be. Jungle Val can take a while to get established. I have one that largely sat there doing nothing for six months. Now it's got half inch wide leaves and they grow an inch a day. Plants store food in the form of carbohydrates in leaves and stems, even seemingly dead leaves/stems. Truly dead leaves tend to fall off on their own and can then be removed. As long as your leaves stay attached, I'd just leave them be.

• Like 1

I was looking at Val to add to one of my tanks but I've seen differences of opinion on whether they should be trimmed or not. I can't imagine not being able to trim them as I've seen them get really long, if that's the look you're going for awesome but in my tank I'd just want them to drag at the top a little and just be a safe place for fish to swim around in. Any opinions one way or another?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I was looking at Val to add to one of my tanks but I've seen differences of opinion on whether they should be trimmed or not. I can't imagine not being able to trim them as I've seen them get really long, if that's the look you're going for awesome but in my tank I'd just want them to drag at the top a little and just be a safe place for fish to swim around in. Any opinions one way or another?

I've trimmed jungle val in the past with no trouble. I haven't trimmed the one I have now, but I'll be doing so in the not too distant future with it growing as fast as it's growing. Oddly enough it hasn't produced even a single runner though. Hmm...why? I don't know. But it's growing very well. It's growing an inch a day right now in a thirty high. One leaf has grown to about 34 inches in length and that leaf and the new ones are all about a half inch wide (or wider.) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@gardenman that's crazy fast, sounds like you could sit there and watch it grow. 

Yeah, you almost can. It's pretty neat. This is a tall tank. A thirty high so it's about 24" deep. there's about 22 inches of water and in about three weeks a leaf will go from nothing to the top. It's an impressive plant. I've never had one with leaves as wide as this one. Most of the jungle val I've grown in the past have had narrower leaves. This one's becoming a monster. I'm using the pond tabs as root fertilizer in this tank and I suspect that's playing a role in it's growth. The lack of runners is a bit confusing. It seems to be putting all of its energy into growing and none into spreading. That could be because the root tab was placed very near it so it doesn't have to look around for fertilizer. I don't know. It's interesting though. The pond tabs aren't causing me any trouble and the plants are doing well.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@gardenman I wonder if it grows up THEN out? The Aponogeton that I got for my tanks (3 total) it's interesting to see one growing really fast, the other 2 in a different tank taking their time. Those though are the fastest growing plants I've ever had. 

Val typically sends out runners pretty quickly. This one did nothing for months, now it's taking off vertically, but doing nothing horizontally. Sometimes the first sign of new growth is a runner. This one's behaving a bit different than normal.