Why Are There Bubbles On This Corydora...?

Mitch_ScruffyCityAquatics

Ahhh! I'm sorry, I've never seen nor heard of such a thing and I'd be freaking out as much as you probably are right now if I saw that on one of my fish. I didn't want to respond in order to keep this in the unanswered topics in case someone had some experience with this, but couldn't wait any longer. 

No idea other than isolate in a QT (maybe with a friend or two), ramp up the salt to 1 tbsp / 2 gal and pray it goes down. Though, actually, the mollies might like some salt, too, so dose the whole tank unless it's huge or you have sensitive plants/inverts.

How freaky!

• Thanks 1

from what I have read it's caused by a  sudden rise in temperature and when colder water is suddenly heated it can realease   traped gases in the water causeing gas bubble disease I could be wrong something else could be going on

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

I’ve read that, and I’ve read too much aeration... oh and too much protein in their diet. Haha. I’m not sure that I’ll ever know. 

What I do know is that it wasn’t temperature change. I used an infrared thermometer to make sure the large water change was within a degree of the water in the tank, and I have a temperature controller that allow me to see the temp. I checked it that night and was proud that I changed 50% of the water without a rise or fall in temp (It’s only the second time I’ve done such a large water change in this tank). 

He still has the bubbles. I’ve read they go away after a couple of days. Hopefully there are no more issues. I haven’t found anything that says it is dangerous, but I’ll be looking for him the next few days. 

I’ll keep you posted. 

• Like 1