I was doing my weekly water change and when I removed the lid I noticed this clutch of snail eggs. I tried to change the water as fast as I could to minimize the eggs getting dried out. Is that a concern I need to take into account next week or will they stay moist for long enough to not worry about that.  Also I have been doing some reading and  saw that not all the eggs my be fertilized. How can I know if they are fertile and will produce baby snails. Also when/ if they hatch do i need to move them to a separate tank to let them grow out or will they be fine in my main tank. 

TIA

20210411_114924.jpg

So, yeah, those are mystery snail eggs. There is no way to tell if they are fertilized or not, you will have to wait about 3 weeks for babies to pop out to tell. They need to remain moist, but not submerged. You might splash or drip some water on them while performing tank maintenance if you are concerned about them drying out. As far as moving the babies it sorta depends on what livestock you have, but honestly a lot of fish will attempt to eat defenseless baby snails if they can fit them in their mouth.

They might not have much of a chance with the fish but if they ALL hatched and lived you'd likely have hundreds of snails so....but you can get them in a breeder box, would have to put the lid on it or get yourself a small grow out tank. This is a great video IMO....

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.

I was going to try and make something out of really fine mesh and suction cup it to the glass. The way of the decide to hatch at night they will be kept safe until morning. Then I can move them to a separate tank to grow out in. Or should I just wait a week or two and then move them into a container like the videos you provided

Follow up question. Do mystery snails just lay eggs. The reason i as if I was getting some water out of the tank to check nitrates and I see one of my snails laying another clutch. Or is it possible they mated again and this is a second batch