PLEASE HELP! - Swollen Oranda

ReNae

one of my orandas has a swollen side. has been in my pond since Dec 2020. water temp is 75 degrees. no issues with eating or swimming. noticed a slight uneven body shape upon receiving him from a breeder but he has become more swollen over time. any ideas?

IMG_2620.PNG

IMG_2621.PNG

IMG_2622.JPG

Thanks @Colu

I haven't tried any meds yet because I had no clue of what it could be. I thought maybe a tumor as you suggested but I didn't know what to do for that. He is such a sweet fish and I don't want to lose him.

Edited by ReNae
  • Like 1

He is so cute.  Makes me sad for both of you to see how swollen he is.  I can’t think of anything else besides a tumor that would make a fish swell just on one side like that.  I wish fish vets were more common that surgery could be attempted.  Especially since he seemed to be eating and swimming OK.

Just glad you are giving him such a nice life.  As long as he appears to be enthusiastic about life—let him live it.

Do you happen to know if any universities in your area are teaching hospitals for Vetrinary medicine? I'm lucky enough to live in an area in close proximity to one of the country's leading Vet schools- they've actually treated my friend's goldfish with success, they also treat other exotics. If there's no fish doctors in your area, that's a posibility? Or maybe you can get in touch with one that may not be close and see if they'd be kind enough to help you diagnose?

@LifeisgoodThanks! It is very sad but he is such a happy fish when he is in the tank with everyone else. I guess there is no treatment for a tumor other than surgery? I think all I can do is let him live out the rest of his life and enjoy him while I can.