Decoration cleaning

RyanU

My decorations have stewed to grow brown algea and are being taken over. I have three otto's but they are still small and can't keep up. I have to do a water change today. I was wondering. Can i scrub the brown algea of the decor in old tank water in a bucket with my scrub brush? Also will I lose bb if I do? 

Tia

51 minutes ago, RyanU said:

My decorations have stewed to grow brown algea and are being taken over. I have three otto's but they are still small and can't keep up. I have to do a water change today. I was wondering. Can i scrub the brown algea of the decor in old tank water in a bucket with my scrub brush? Also will I lose bb if I do? 

Tia

If your brush is not contaminated by chemicals you’re unaware of, and if the water you’re using is clean (or tank water) you can certainly scrape a lot off that way. You won’t really lose that much beneficial bacteria as long as you’ve got a bio filter going, and bio established in your substrate. But the situation will continue unless you figure out the cause. 

Being new to the hobby I'm not sure what the cause is. I feed twice a day and try to keep the light(led) on for 8 to 10 hours a day. Is there anything else in your opinion to take a look at, or anything I should be doing differently. My tank as been set up for almost two months with fish. Is it possible that being a new tank i just need to wait out the issue and manage it the best I can with weekly water changes, and with time the algea will go away