How is it possible that my snail tank has consistently produced no ammonia in weeks?

mgudyka

I think I have had this second and smaller tank running for four weeks now. I have many snails in this tank. I think I have only seen two empty shells. I have lots (and I mean lots) bladder snails (mostly babies but plenty of adults), I think one ramshorn, and three nerites. How is it possible to have absolutely no trace of ammonia in my water? There doesn't appear to be any nitrites either. There is plenty of algae to go around and I have sprinkled a little food in the tank here and there. I have plants in there too. 

What gives?

20210409_205135.jpg

10 minutes ago, mgudyka said:

I think I have had this second and smaller tank running for four weeks now. I have many snails in this tank. I think I have only seen two empty shells. I have lots (and I mean lots) bladder snails (mostly babies but plenty of adults), I think one ramshorn, and three nerites. How is it possible to have absolutely no trace of ammonia in my water? There doesn't appear to be any nitrites either. There is plenty of algae to go around and I have sprinkled a little food in the tank here and there. I have plants in there too. 

What gives?

20210409_205135.jpg

Bad test kit?

More likely the bio load from the snails is so tiny that any no2/no3 generated from their waste is quickly absorbed by the plants in the tank. You're probably good to add a fish or two, but I'd test every second day and feed lightly for a week to let things catch up to the stark increase in bio load.

• Like 4

My guess would be the same as @Schwack. You could feed more heavily for a week first to help feed and produce more bacteria before adding fish. Just vacuum/clean and water change the tank before you do. It's hard to say just based on the test results whether it's more likely that the ammonia is getting converted to nitrite and the nitrate and then used by plants or if the plants are just using ammonia or nitrite. Probably a bit of both, so you may not have a lot of ammonia or nitrite converting bacteria.

• Like 1