Aquarium Co-Op Warehouse Photos

Randy

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

What do people do with the stickers? Since almost every fishy thing we do involves water, it's hard to think of a good place that will stay dry! 

20201216_122454.jpg

my neon tetra sticker went on the corner of my 75 

44 minutes ago, Struggle said:

My stickers go on my brute water storage lids.

i will probably start doing this once i get a SW mixing station up

I am doing some winter cleaning of the office and came across an item that was intended to improve our plant picking / preparation process.

When prepping plants for shipments you have three mains goals: 1) ship the plant with minimal moisture, you don't want it to dry out, but you also don't want to ship 1 liter of water with every plant, 2) protect the plant, and 3) ensure the water stays in the bag with the plant and not in the shipping box.  Some equally important goals that we strive for are to prep the plants in such a way as to reduce picking and packing errors and also have a product that still presents very well to the customer.

So in our old process we would take a plant, place it (ever so gingerly) into our patented plant liner bag (not really patented), then put that into a plastic, open-top fish bag, which we would then close off with a rubber band.  This was fine for a while but we wanted to have our plants barcoded with the species contained within to cut down on pick/pack errors.  Also, I really was not a fan of the repeated motion on the team of tying off hundreds of bags with rubber bands.  I have prepped a good number of plants in my time here and your fingers can get a little tender after a while.  So my goal was to 1) introduce species specific barcodes and 2) eliminate rubber bands while still maintaining a water tight seal.

In my search for ideas I came across zip-tie like asset tags that can be printed/engraved with whatever you want.  One common application for this is asset tagging or security tagging of high value / high theft items.  Well, my use case was a little outside the norm, but the supplier could put anything on these tags I wanted and at a somewhat reasonable price.

Below are the sample tags that were tested for durability, barcode scanning, ease of application, and ability to maintain a water tight seal.

In the end, these tags were able to accomplish our goals, but the ability to scale with growth was problematic.  It would've become an entire purchasing commodity unto itself that we would have to manage as each plant species would sell would have it's own unique tag  Alas, these tags were mothballed to my office bookcase.

If you are curious what we do today for plants ordered from the site, just order up like 30 and see for yourself.  LOL. jk.

Not sure how many of you all will like this glimpse into a failed operations item, but it was an interesting thing for me to explore and reflect upon a year later.

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

• Like 9

On 12/23/2020 at 5:46 PM, Randy said:

I am doing some winter cleaning of the office and came across an item that was intended to improve our plant picking / preparation process.

When prepping plants for shipments you have three mains goals: 1) ship the plant with minimal moisture, you don't want it to dry out, but you also don't want to ship 1 liter of water with every plant, 2) protect the plant, and 3) ensure the water stays in the bag with the plant and not in the shipping box.  Some equally important goals that we strive for are to prep the plants in such a way as to reduce picking and packing errors and also have a product that still presents very well to the customer.

So in our old process we would take a plant, place it (ever so gingerly) into our patented plant liner bag (not really patented), then put that into a plastic, open-top fish bag, which we would then close off with a rubber band.  This was fine for a while but we wanted to have our plants barcoded with the species contained within to cut down on pick/pack errors.  Also, I really was not a fan of the repeated motion on the team of tying off hundreds of bags with rubber bands.  I have prepped a good number of plants in my time here and your fingers can get a little tender after a while.  So my goal was to 1) introduce species specific barcodes and 2) eliminate rubber bands while still maintaining a water tight seal.

In my search for ideas I came across zip-tie like asset tags that can be printed/engraved with whatever you want.  One common application for this is asset tagging or security tagging of high value / high theft items.  Well, my use case was a little outside the norm, but the supplier could put anything on these tags I wanted and at a somewhat reasonable price.

Below are the sample tags that were tested for durability, barcode scanning, ease of application, and ability to maintain a water tight seal.

In the end, these tags were able to accomplish our goals, but the ability to scale with growth was problematic.  It would've become an entire purchasing commodity unto itself that we would have to manage as each plant species would sell would have it's own unique tag  Alas, these tags were mothballed to my office bookcase.

If you are curious what we do today for plants ordered from the site, just order up like 30 and see for yourself.  LOL. jk.

Not sure how many of you all will like this glimpse into a failed operations item, but it was an interesting thing for me to explore and reflect upon a year later.

IMG_4013.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

IMG_4011.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4009.JPG

those could be used for cable, and hose organization around the aquarium. clearance 'em out for a quarter a piece, bet they go fast. even if they have plant names on them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...