Search the Community
Showing results for tags 'rebuild'.
I had to break down my old work fish tank and figured I would set up a journal on the rebuild of it in my new location. I’m a manager at one of the big box pet stores and I decided to set up a planted 75 gallon aquarium on our sales floor a couple years ago because I hated throwing away so many rotted plants and I also wanted to use it as a teaching tool for my associates. Also, of course it was just because I wanted my own tank at work to satisfy my MTS 😂. Pretty quickly we went from throwing plants away constantly to being the best in our district in aquatic sales. Unfortunately this location is significantly smaller than my old location so it will have to go in our break room so it won’t sell as many plants but it will still be a great teaching tool. The first picture is what it looked like the last time I took a photo of it about 6 months ago. I wish I took a picture of it before I tore it down but hindsight is 20/20. The second picture is my progress so far. The substrate is the old stratum that came out and I plan to top it with Carib Sea Peace River gravel which should compliment the stone. Speaking of the stone, it was sold as “New England Stone” which matches perfectly to the rocks in the river by my home. I plan on snagging some smaller accent stones from the river but I am more than glad to pay $2 a pound rather than loading monster stones in my backpack in the middle of winter. Filter will be an Aquaclear 70 and possibly also a Eheim Pro 4 (I think?). Probably going to add CO2 as I have a spare set up in my basement and I would like to fill out with plants quicker. Lighting for now will be my current Fluval Aquasky and a spare Marineland LED I have in my basement. Plants are a long list but I’ll get to that later. The thing stumping me is what I should stock as I want everything 😂 I’ll keep you all posted though
I purchased this tank 19 days ago and it's finally "ready" for fish! The silicone finished curing last week and this week I finished testing for leaks. I don't trust the stand that it came with when I purchased it so I'm building one from scratch, which is my next part of this ongoing project. It came with some accessories when I purchased it but the only one worth mention is the 50 foot Python. It was moldy and needed a new T pump and switch but is in good condition now. Total spent for the tank and lid: Silicone - $10 Acetone - $8 Acrylic handle - $9 6" hinges - $10 (pack of 5, I only used 2) Total spent: $87 This number definitely goes up when you account for money spent repairing the Python ($11) and on the stand ($80 in so far, and I've only built the frame). This is mainly a therapy project for myself since this is my first fish tank in almost 5 years.