I MOVES THIS POST TO JOURNALS. PLEASE LOOK FOR IT THERE WITH ANY OF THE SAME TAGS

UpSo last week I got some many discus. I didnt know they Had such a thing. So far so good they shipped no problem. I did have a issue with 5 fish that are going to be replaced do to a issue with the dorsal fin. It look as if the back is ok just the dorsal fin is messed up. They seller is. Replacing them plus two more. 

A4761809-9ED2-4398-8B47-BE76177ED5AF.jpeg.540f45b51eba5b7c038a3945dae7d59c.jpeg

Edited by Brandon p
Moved topic to journals

On 3/14/2022 at 9:40 PM, T. Payne said:

When you say mini discus, I'm assuming that you are referring to the fact that they are just young discus?

No the seller claims that they do not get bigger than 2 inches. These are still very young at this point. I’m skeptical but I have a large tank that 18 full size discus if I needed to. I will say that the guy has been nothing but honest and helpful when I’ve had questions or was not happy. They don’t seeem like a fish that he is trying to perfect. I ordered 12 he sent 14 just in case one or two died. A lot of personal sellers do this because the fish are cheaper than the cost of postage.  5 of the 14 h e Dora l fins that lay over on their side. No one wants that in discus. When I talked to him he is sending out 6 more to replace the what would 3 I need to have 12 that I ordered. I’ll post here again in a month juts to trach growth.

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 6:46 AM, kahjtheundedicated said:

Did he provide the scientific name? Wonder if they're a different species. If they are, wonder why they aren't already in the hobby

I had a LFS that claimed to be selling a type of miniaturized discus. The guy told me that they grow to be about 5-6 inches, this to me is somewhat believable but now that I think about it @Brandon pI think that 2 inches is a little much. The years of selective breeding required and the time consumption needed would be huge. Thats also not to mention that biologically speaking i'm not sure its possible to shrink a fish 6/8th of its normal size and maintain hardiness and shape. If these do end up working for you then you could revolutionize discus fish-keeping but just be prepared if it doesnt. 

• Like 2

On 3/15/2022 at 10:16 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

I had a LFS that claimed to be selling a type of miniaturized discus. The guy told me that they grow to be about 5-6 inches, this to me is somewhat believable but now that I think about it @Brandon pI think that 2 inches is a little much. The years of selective breeding required and the time consumption needed would be huge. Thats also not to mention that biologically speaking i'm not sure its possible to shrink a fish 6/8th of its normal size and maintain hardiness and shape. If these do end up working for you then you could revolutionize discus fish-keeping but just be prepared if it doesnt. 

It’s been done with dogs, but we really messed them up in the process and it took many decades to get them small.  Fish don’t seem to be as plastic in regard to size as they are in regard to color.  If they were, we would have MUCH LARGER Betta splendens by now.  They’d have them the size of Oscars already and they’ve only managed to get them about 1/2”, maybe 3/4” longer than wild type.

@Brandon p Did he show you pics of the parents with a ruler?  They look very young to me judging by body shape.  How big are they now?  They look tiny but very immature with nowhere near the roundness that comes as discus develop. I’ve never raised discuss but I’ve seen plenty in tanks and loads of pictures online. There’s a guy local to me that’s on Band that does breed and also imports a ton, and he publishes lots of pics with notes about ages on some.  If I’m guessing (and we are talking PURE guess, here) I would say they look only 3-4 months old?  So plenty of growing time left.  I would say prepare for bigger.  But you’ll have a seasoned, plant heavy, 55 gallon soon to give them room, right?  😆 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2022 at 7:40 PM, Odd Duck said:

It’s been done with dogs, but we really messed them up in the process and it took many decades to get them small.  Fish don’t seem to be as plastic in regard to size as they are in regard to color.  If they were, we would have MUCH LARGER Betta splendens by now.  They’d have them the size of Oscars already and they’ve only managed to get them about 1/2”, maybe 3/4” longer than wild type.

@Brandon p Did he show you pics of the parents with a ruler?  They look very young to me judging by body shape.  How big are they now?  They look tiny but very immature with nowhere near the roundness that comes as discus develop. I’ve never raised discuss but I’ve seen plenty in tanks and loads of pictures online. There’s a guy local to me that’s on Band that does breed and also imports a ton, and he publishes lots of pics with notes about ages on some.  If I’m guessing (and we are talking PURE guess, here) I would say they look only 3-4 months old?  So plenty of growing time left.  I would say prepare for bigger.  But you’ll have a seasoned, plant heavy, 55 gallon soon to give them room, right?  😆 

I  have seen the parents and a live chat. The good news if I don’t find a 55g for a good price I have one sort of. My son has 6 Carpintis Escondido in a 55g. I would either move them to a 45 bow front or see if LFS wants then they are a good size to sell these only about 6 months. He is not here as much and doesn’t care I I do something else with it. I did do some research and found that there are mini discus but there really fragile when young. Also there are issues with the fish producing to many culls. I think this guy is doing it for fun or to try to may I’m better. He’s not in it for the money what he is paying in shipping and free fish he has to have lost money. Nice thing is I didn’t have to change my ph. They are doing ok at 7.2. I lose the four Beautiful ones from wattley discus when in the hospital. I think it’s due to ph. In normal use Phosphoric acid added to water and let it sit for a few days like wattley. Time will tell.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:08 PM, Brandon p said:

I  have seen the parents and a live chat. The good news if I don’t find a 55g for a good price I have one sort of. My son has 6 Carpintis Escondido in a 55g. I would either move them to a 45 bow front or see if LFS wants then they are a good size to sell these only about 6 months. He is not here as much and doesn’t care I I do something else with it. I did do some research and found that there are mini discus but there really fragile when young. Also there are issues with the fish producing to many culls. I think this guy is doing it for fun or to try to may I’m better. He’s not in it for the money what he is paying in shipping and free fish he has to have lost money. Nice thing is I didn’t have to change my ph. They are doing ok at 7.2. I lose the four Beautiful ones from wattley discus when in the hospital. I think it’s due to ph. In normal use Phosphoric acid added to water and let it sit for a few days like wattley. Time will tell.

It will certainly be interesting if they stay small.  Can’t wait to see how big they do (or don’t) get!

• 2 months later...

So far the the fish are no bigger than 2.5”. I’m not go to say who I got the from because to get 12 fish with no defect to the fins it took 5 shipments. That was to get 24 live fish. He resend the fish and did not charge me. 2 times every fish was dead. The water temp of the water was 98* in one Shipment. So far I have not had any die. I have the 12 well form minis in a 20 which seems to be more than enough. Temp is 80* and ph 7.2. They seem to be doing well some were small as dimes when I got them. The deformed 12 are in the 75 with some angels. The temp 85* ph 6.4. That tank was still setup for the discus I lost when I had the heart attack. So they are adoptable, but my not ship well.  I’ll keep updated and send me questions 

• Like 1